new pink tipped BTA

mkzimms

just got this pink tipped bta for a sweet deal at my LFS, $36. Looks very healthy and the colors are amazing. hes been in the tank for only about 5 hours at the time of this post. hes already stuck himself in that hole, purged his old LFS water and blew himself up again. i think hell be quite happy where he is now. hes being kept in my 40G breeder under 8x39w T5HO. unfortunately he is going to turn that ric next to him into jelly, but i am ok with that, there are plenty more scattered around the tank.

let me know what you think.

J

johnd185

thats beautiful
how long has that tank been set up(i want to no because i want a bta too but i need info)

mkzimms

Originally Posted by johnd185
http:///forum/post/2856200
thats beautiful
how long has that tank been set up(i want to no because i want a bta too but i need info)
this tank has been up for about 8 months now. it was populated with established rock from my other tank and a few local reefers. the water quality is kept as close perfect as i can because this is an sps dominated tank. hopefully he wont take a walk, but ill have to keep my eye out. as of right now he seems happy where he is though.
Originally Posted by SpiderWoman

http:///forum/post/2856257
That is beautiful. Do you know if he is dyed? I've never seen anything like that before.
when you see him in real life he does not look dyed. he is very healthy and the colors are natural but very bright. you'll have to remember in that picture he is not full open so the colors look very rich because the bubble tips are not stretched. when they are fully inflated they pale in color a bit. in addition, one of my bulbs is an ATI pro-color which is a red spectrum bulb at about 660nm which brings out pinks more than usual. in combination with the ATI blue-plus bulbs, greens, blues, oranges and pinks pop like crazy in my tank.

shrimpi

Ive seen a few of these lately with the same type of color variation but its usually orange.. the pink is awesome! I am very jealous! That is a sweet deal too, Id take that over a RbTA any day,and you got it much cheaper.
Now you need a pretty little clown to call it home

Jess

mkzimms

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
http:///forum/post/2858848
Now you need a pretty little clown to call it home

Jess
i have a false perc that is infatuated with his frogspawn. i don't think hell move to the bta. im thinking about maybe getting a porcelain crab or a shrimp in the genus periclimenes (anemone hosted shrimp) .

mkzimms

well, i was wrong. twinkie (my flase perc) must have smelled something in the water. tonight i came home and he had abandoned his frogspawn and began playing in the bta. luckily twinkie is quite small, about 1.5", so he is not being too aggressive with the anemone. i also fed the bta a silverside tonight and it devoured it before i could even get my hand out of the water. everything's looking good!

on a sad side note though... my seahorse died sometime today while i was at work. she was a little more than a year and a half old. she wasn't showing any signs of stress as of last night and water quality in her tank was spot on. i did see her grab a piece of mysis from out of a bristle worm's mouth last night, im think she may have inhaled some bristles with it. my girlfriend is pretty broken up about it.

perfectdark

I agree that is a nice looking BTA... Your bulbs are enhancing it a lot but it looks awesome!! IMO I wouldn't worry too much about your hairy shroom there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do just fine next to each other.

anonome

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2862666
I agree that is a nice looking BTA... Your bulbs are enhancing it a lot but it looks awesome!! IMO I wouldn't worry too much about your hairy shroom there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do just fine next to each other.
I agree with PerfectDark, the anemone is awesome, and good luck with it. I have many mushrooms around and touching my RBTA and they are doing fine, and have been for many years, even multiplying. Sorry to hear about your horse though.
Was the seahorse in the same tank as the BTA? Not sure if that would be a smart idea if you decide to get another. They are so slow, and would hate to have it be a dinner. Just a thought.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2870771
Looks very similar to mine.
I guess the pink-tips aren't that common. Definately a nice find

-Justin
Hey justin I just got one from my LFS that is exactly like yours. almost looks like a torch coral or something. Mine was terribly bleached (like most anemones in the store) but it is actively taking food and starting to look better. Its green with pink tips just like that pic. I think he said the shipment was Indian ocean.
Was yours bubbly in the store? mine was for the first 24hours, but now looks just like your pic.
Jess

wangotango

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
http:///forum/post/2876066
Hey justin I just got one from my LFS that is exactly like yours. almost looks like a torch coral or something. Mine was terribly bleached (like most anemones in the store) but it is actively taking food and starting to look better. Its green with pink tips just like that pic. I think he said the shipment was Indian ocean.
Was yours bubbly in the store? mine was for the first 24hours, but now looks just like your pic.
Jess
(Don't mean to hijack)
That pic was from when I first put it in the tank. The bubble tips come and go. Most days they're pretty pronounced, some they're not, and sometimes it's 50/50. Anemones are just bags of water that inflate and deflate periodically, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
-Justin

mkzimms

this being my first anemone i am not sure about normal behaviour, however it seems mine has bubble tips during the day and at night the tips elongate.

perfectdark

Bubbly or not, no indication of an unhealthy anemone. Some believe that they bubble when newly introduced as part of a defense mechanism. When they become acclimated and comfortable with their surroundings they lose their "bubbliness" If something irritates them or they are fed they tend to bubble at least in the beginning, also thought to be part of their defense. Filling the gaps between their tenticals its difficult for an invert or fish to steal their food. I tend to agree with that theory but, it is only a theory. Mine has not bubbled in almost a year, I guess its very comfortable.