new plywood project 300 gal

dfrick23

this is the start of my 300 gal plywood project that I have been dreaming of. So far I have about $100.00 dollars in it.

murph145

what exactly is your plywood project your gona have a tank with the back 3 sides made of plywood and the front panel glass?>?
im not sure whats goin on ?
looks cool either way

mitzel

I'm very interested in how this works out for you please keep us updated .
Whats you materials list so far ?

dfrick23

here is the idea. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=716410
maybe that link can stay because it is a great way to save money when building large tanks. Basicly 2-pary epoxy/fiberglass seals the plywood and silicone seals the 1/2 glass to the epoxy. Only thing im going to do diffrent is to apply epoxy to the glass once the silicone is dry. thanks for the interest.

murph145

very cool thanks for sharing cant wait to see it come along !
i see how that overflow in the back is supposed to work after reading that other thread!
i just purchased my 180 and it was $1350!!! wish i could build a tank for a few hundo's!
im making my own stand and canopy thought hat should be fun though
keep us updated

dfrick23

My camera sucks and I had to shrink down the pic to post it. It is actually 85"x 30"x 30" minus the overflow. That guy has alot of help from people that have had plywood tanks for a whyle. I am following his thread very closely. I broke all my drill bits and havent had time to get anymore. (I work to much). I still have to install the front and the vertical part of the overflow. but I did order the fiberglass 50 pounds shoud cover it (I think). I gave $35.00 for it. I havent decided on the epoxy yet but what I am looking at is about $150.00 for a 3 gal kit. He used the west systems epoxy but those prices are outrageous. The 1/2" tempered glass is about $175.00 for the size I need. So you figure about $450.00 for a 300 gallon tank You could probably go bigger (I had a little bit of plywood left) but I was restricted to what can fit through the door way. I cant even find a tank this large around here, and I know it would cost $1,000+ to order one. Not bad, just a little work. It is fun though. btw I used 3 sheets of plywood.