New Predator Tank help

mathman360

First i would like start by saying, it's an honor to part of this message board. Im not sure who ask for help. All of the aquarium stores Ive been to arent really knowledgable in regards to saltwater tanks. Im a virgin to saltwater tanks. I'm starting a predator only tank. My tank is 75 gallons. I was wondering if it is really necessary for me to purchase protein skimmers and reverse osmosis systems and junk? Im not doing a reef tank yet, so im not really sure if i need all of that. Im not really sure the best cost effective way to go about preparing my tank in regards to maintaining healthy livable water for my fish. Not sure if i need sand or what kind of rock or coral to purchase or how to get good bacteria to form. My main goal is to have the healthiest saltwater tank and yet keep it very affordable. If anyone could give me any tips or what I need to maintain this type of tank would sooooo greatly appreciated.

joojoo

IMO, predator tanks are more in need of protein skimmers than reef tanks. Large aggressive fish put a lot on the bio-load of a tank because of the amount of waste they produce and the mess they make when they eat. Try posting a thread in the Aggressive Forum for better advice on predatory animals.
Welcome to SWF!

nicetry

Much depends on what you plan to keep in your system. A lightly stocked tank can get by w/o a skimmer, and just regular water changes and some other form of filtration. Live rock, IMO is one of the most beneficial things you can have in a salt water system simply for biofiltration. Sand is the substrate of choice with depth being a personal preference. Shallow sand beds are fine in predatory systems. An RO unit is also optional but as you say, you want to keep a healthy system and there is no better way than to maintain it with pure water, free from contaminants.
Personally, if I were setting up a simialr tank, I'd go with a 1-2 inch sand bed, 50-60 lbs of live rock (which will also cycle your tank). A mid range hang on skimmer (Remora Pro) and a couple of power heads for flow. Also invest in an RO/DI unit or be prepared to purchase RO water.
A clean up crew would also be helpful in keeping waste down, but many predatory fish are not compatable with snails, crabs, shrimps, etc..

squidd

Originally Posted by Mathman360
.... I was wondering if it is really necessary for me to purchase protein skimmers and reverse osmosis systems and junk?
Protein skimmers and reverse osmosis systems ...YES...and junk....No...