New Red Volitan Lion

nickfish

My mother and I were debating weather to get a lion or a puffer and we decided to get a lion. Its acclimating right now. Its very small(4 inches). I figured my trigger would be safe cause it was housed with a lion before I bought it(the trigger was housed with a lion). I think I like this fish even more than my trigger!

nickfish

Well, its in the tank now and is getting along well, but simba(its new name) is not eating. Any suggestions?

liontamer

Yea...did u do any actual "research" b4 buying this fish? Or did you just go out and buy it cuz u thought it looked cool? Triggers dont go well with lions...and dont matter if it was housed with one at the store. A trigger is like a fragile time bomb, it can be allright, but then go off at any moment. Just think about that, and Im not saying that it WILL kill yer lion, but wen/if it does, dont come here asking why the trigger killed yer lion. As for feeding, do some searches. There are literally hundreds of threads on these forums explaining the feeding of a lionfish. It'll do you good to look at some of those. You have to think about these things b4 u go and get a fish. If you did some searching, you'd know that it is tough to get a lion to eat prepared foods, and that they are generally not compatible with triggers. A puffer would've been a much better choice. Now your tankmates will be limited...research research.....

nickfish

Well I did do reaserch. I guess I will get some ghost shrimp twomorrow. I actually kinda rescued it. It was in a little 5 gallon tank. Actually, the lion chased of the trigger one time. Its the biggest fish in my tank(exept for my sfe) but not big enough to eat anything else. I got it for a bargain! It was only $45

tankedup

i have a medium sized 8 inches red volitan lion in with a large blue cheek trigger and they are doing fine together.lionfish are very mellow from what ive seen and the only threat they pose to other fish , is if that fish looks like food to them.I also have a small 3 inches spotted hawkfish and the lion doesnt even look twice at him,also there are 2 small 3 1/2 inch female bird wrasses in the same tank ,again no problems.It is howevera 240 gl tank.

fishy411

U dont have a tank big enough for the lion or trigger so i would concentrate on that and u also need to get rid of either the trigger or Lion because the lion will die even if it is bigger than the trigger.
The lion doesnt post a threat to the trigger the trigger poses a threat to the lion.A Bluethroat is ok because they are really mellow and in a big tank they will be fine