New Reef Builder needs input

fanclan

I am new to saltwater, but have a couple of freshwater tanks that I have been maintaining for a couple of years. I am ready to take the leap into the Ocean now.
I want to build a 75 - 150 gl reef.
Could someone give me some ideas on contents for the tank. i.e qty of rock, wattage of lights, size of sump and gph, type of substraight, number of power heads.
My goal is to have it stocked with the following:
Fish -
Clowns 2-3
Tangs 2-3
Gobies 2-3
Coral -
green brain - 1
chili coral -1-2
Goniopora - 1
Inverts -
Hawaiian Red Anemone - 1
Long Tentacle Anemone - 1
Derasa Clam - 1
Cleaner Clam - 1
Shrimp -
various - 10
Snails -
variious - 10
Crabs -
various - 10
Well thats is my starting point, please let me know positive and negitive points you may see.
Thanks,
FANCLAN :notsure:

bang guy

Just my opinions.
Go with the 150 if you want a Tang. Stick with just one Tang though.
A pigmy Angel could be another nice addition or a nice Rabbitfish.
Stick to 2 Clownfish.
Ovoid Anemone for a year or so. As soon as you fully understand why having an Anemone in a reef tank is a really bad idea then you'll be ready to care for one.
between 1 and 2 pounds of uncured live rock is an excellent way to start a reef tank IMO. If half of that is base rock that's fine as well.
For a full reef lighting I prefer 3 X 250 watt HQI + 2 X 160 watt VHO URI SuperActininc (assuming a 6 foot tank). Your preferences may vary. If you're handy you can start with 4 or 6 X 160 VHO and add the HQI once the reef requires the extra lighting. No harm in starting with the final product though.
Avoid Green, non-branching Goniopora. Unfortunately Green non-branching Goniopora are the most commonly collected Goni but 99% don't survive even a year.
Euphillia corals like Frogspawn, Torch, and Hammer are nice to look at hardy corals.
I'm not a fan of Crabs. They're predators.
A huge difference between fresh water and salt water is waterflow. Reefs are extremely high energy. Start with at least 15 X turnover rate for the tank volume. 20X or more if you start into the more serious corals. For a 150 gallon tank 2500gph is a good starting waterflow rate.

saltn00b

welcome to the boards. i will try to answer where i can, you asked alot of questions! :Originally Posted by FANCLAN
I am new to saltwater, but have a couple of freshwater tanks that I have been maintaining for a couple of years. I am ready to take the leap into the Ocean now.
I want to build a 75 - 150 gl reef.
decide which you want now. there is pretty big difference, but all pretty good starter size tanks if you have the money. 75-90 are usuall 4', 110-150 are usually 6' long. The larger the tank, the more forgiving and stable the water quality is, however more work to do water changes and move - should you have to

Could someone give me some ideas on contents for the tank. i.e qty of rock, wattage of lights, size of sump and gph, type of substraight, number of power heads.
One good rule of thumb is around 1.5 LBS of LR / Gallon size of tank. You can save money by buying cheaper 'Base Rock' for the bottom 50% and the good LR for the top 50%. the other rock will be come live in time. Lights isnt about wattage really. if you arent getting a tall tank (over 30") your best bet for lighting will be either Metal Halide (MH) or Reflected T-5. Power Heads are used to increase Flow in the tank. this can be done a number of ways, but your overall flow you should aim to achieve 15x-25x the gallons of your tank. so if you got a 100 gallon tank, you want to achieve 1500-2500 GPH (gal/hour). this can be done many ways, and you need to count your sump (the bigger the better, Adding a fuge is a great idea. research Refugium) your return Pump, your protein skimmer Pump, Powerheads, Closed Loop Systems etc etc.

My goal is to have it stocked with the following:
Fish -
Clowns 2-3
keep to one species and only get 1 or 2. if you buy 2, get them at varying sizes.

Tangs 2-3
if you get three different species thats fine, just make sure your tank is large enough, do your research, and the shapes or Genus are not the same. If you want say, multiple Yellow tangs, go with Odd number.

Gobies 2-3
Coral -
green brain - 1
chili coral -1-2
Goniopora - 1
Avoid Gonio, or flowerpots, because they usually do not do well after a year. You should wait about 6 momths before you start adding corals. at least.

Inverts -
Hawaiian Red Anemone - 1
dont know abou these, but anenomes can be tricky and difficult. research!

Long Tentacle Anemone - 1
this is a common anenome and relatively easy to keep. like corals, wait at least 6 months.

Derasa Clam - 1
Cleaner Clam - 1
Shrimp -
various - 10
10 large shrimp will be too much, start 3 and see how they do.

Snails -
variious - 10
multiply by 100 for an appropriate sized clean up crew

Crabs -
various - 10
careful here. do your research on each type (sense a theme yet?) a lot of crabs can get mean and are not reef safe.

Well thats is my starting point, please let me know positive and negitive points you may see.
Thanks,
FANCLAN :notsure:

hagfish

The advice above is good. I suggest that if you have the money, get the bigger tank. It makes things easier and you'll have more room to add things.
As Bang suggested, I recommend you add a pigmy angel into the mix. There are quite a few outstanding looking specimens.
Sand is the best substrate. The depth matters. Do some research on deep sand beds. You may or may not want one. A lot of people are doing bare bottom now too. Some don't like the look though. You also need to consider what your creatures will want. For instance, the Derasa clam is a sand bed clam I believe. There are other creatures that prefer sand too.
I would avoid crabs. Just get a variety of snails. You'll want to research them too. I like nassarius and cerith snails the most. I would put about .75 snails per gallon. You could start with less though. You will likely get some on your LR too.
You will likely end up with a whole lot more coral than what you've listed. Just something to think about.
Research protein skimmers too. That is the most important piece of mechanical filtration. Don't skimp on it either. You will probably have to pay at least $200-300 for a good one. Maybe more.
Consider buying used equipment from the classifieds here and on other message boards (other boards have MUCH better classifieds, you'll have to search for them). Sometimes you can get lucky on the

[hr]
site too.
Otherwise, just be patient because nothing happens quickly in this hobby.