new reef going up

raymac

Just looking for some advice.....
I'm putting up a 150 reef from scratch. The salt is in the water, it's almost right at 1.024 right now, and the sump is going. I still need a skimmer, rock and live sand.
To get this thing looking real nice some day, it's going to cost a fortune. I'm willing to be patient, because I'm in this for the long term. I'm sure that the tank can handle several hundred pounds of live rock, which is pretty expensive in the Milwaukee area.
Here's my plan.......is it going to work?
-- 60 lbs of aragonite, 40 pounds of live sand. I know this won't be 4 inches, but hopefully, it's a good start.
-- about 60 lbs of live rock to start.
-- the tank (I bought it used, locally) only has VHO's right now, and my plan is to invest in a canopy, and retrofit MH's.
My other options are to put in some type of base rock that isn't live, with the live rock covering the base rock. How has this worked for others?
Also, I'm only planning at first to try some soft corals....mushrooms, feather dusters, etc., so I'm planning to start slowly.
Am I on track at this point? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks......

y2says

You've got a good start and you're right...it's going to cost a forturne. I would put as much l/s or aragonite in there first, since you'll want to make it 4" later anyway. It's easier to do that first. You can add 60lbs of l/r and add base rock later if you want. The l/r will eventually seed the base rocks. That's what I did. One suggestion is to go slow and read as much as you can! It's important or you'll end up like me and have dying stuff. ;)
Get l/r from the internet is cheaper I think.

cruzan277

Your starting on the right track. Just a suggestion if you know you want a certain hight to your substrate do it the first time. You can put in more aragonite which is cheaper the live sand you add will seed it. As for as Live Rock, if you can find somewhere that sells man made rock (I know of a place that sells it for $3.00 a pound free shipping) then you can add some LR such as figi or tonga(spelling) to seed that rock. Adding rock to an established tank can be a headache. I am thinking of adding some more to my 125g and I am going for the pre cured man made(dry) rock. My LR and LS that I have in my system will seed that rock and I wont have to worry about an Amonia spike. Whichever way you go be patient and have fun. Hope my two cents has helped

D

diatom

Ray~ you might think about doing it like this.
Buy 300 Lbs of Dry sand...argonite is nice but what's most important is to get the right size grains.
Then buy some good quality uncured LR and cure it right in the tank with the dry sand. It will stink to high heaven but you'll get some live sand out of the deal and some nice rock.
Then when you have some extra money buy a detrivore kit on like to add some worms and pods ect to your sand bed and you'll be in great shape.
Adding the sand afterward the rock is a real PITA believe me.
HTH
D~