new reef set/up...phosphate in the water

glenn10

I am setting up a small reef tank using a 46 gallon bow front. The water we are using is from a well and it passes through a water softener. Testing the water, I did find a fair amount of phosphates. Should I spring for a reverse osmosis system and will that take care of the problem. Thanks

S

sebae0

ro unit will take care of the problem for you, if you have high phosphate levels it can lead to alot of algae growth that is unwanted.

pmauro

Since you already have phosphates in your tank you may want to use a phosphate sponge to lower those levels and then when you get your RO unit you won't have to worry about it.

superdust

Before you buy an RO system make sure you have enough pressure. I also have a well, and have put off purchasing an RO system because I heard that unless you have 40 psi at the RO's mounting location it will waste several tons of water, and if the pressure is to low may not work at all. Something to check out.

barracuda

RO will surely solve your problem. As for pressure, IMO most of today's RO units disigned to work with standart city water pressure.