New Reef Tank, Looking for Tips

jamiev3

HI all, Im new to the saltwater end of fish keeping. I have had freshwater for about ten years and Im looking to make the change over. I have a 29 Gallon with excellent lighting and filtration. I recently added 25 pounds of live rock to begin to condition the water. I am intrested in keeping 2-3 coral 2-3 fish and 2-3 inverts. Is this a reasonable amount for this tank? I understand the size of the animals will be important. Can anyone suggest a few "easy" corals/fish/inverts to begin with. I am very intrested in learning more about the hobby. I have been reading up and just thought I would ask for a few names here. Thank you in advance for your help =)
James

stacy

How much lighting do you have? That will be the determining factor for the types of corals. Mushrooms seem to be good starter corals. Most mushrooms don't need intense lighting and are hardy. As far as fish you could add a percula clown, royal gramma, and maybe a bengaii cardinal. Look for fish that stay about 2-3" in length when they become adults. You could add 2-3 around that size.

rhomer

You are correct that you won't be able to get much. Couple of questions:
What lighting do you have?
What filtration do you have?
Have you started this setup yet or are you in the investigation stage?

jamiev3

I have already started the setup, I have an AuqaClear 300 and my light is on order from LFS atm, it was the type he suggested with both daylight and actinc (sp) bulbs. I am not sure of the wattage but my fish monger said it was "more then enough" for my 29gallon
James

stacy

It sounds like the lighting setup that you are getting is a power compact. Make sure before you get it that it's at least a PC or VHO. If that is the case then that should be adequate lighting for some mushrooms, and maybe a leather of some sort. I don't have alot of experience with corals myself just get started with them. So far they appear to be doing great in my 80 gallon with PC lighting.
Do you have any particular inverts that you are considering. Most people will start with some type of cleanup crew. Maybe a few hermits, and some snails. Crabs and starfish seem to be a hit and miss. They can sometimes cause problems such as eating fish, and corals.