New reefers

damndamsel

Had typed out a huge post as our first post and when we tried to post lost it.
Tank has been running about 3 years now
Tank 180
Sump 40
Skimmer (at a loss for teh name at the moment)
Magnum canister(recent addidtion)
1800 gph return
100 gph PH (larger one just went bad so down to one for now)
VHO's Ice cap ballast 72" 2 actinic white 2 actinic 03
12 hour lighting cycle
Fans in hood never use them
4" DSB
aprox 200#'s LR
Inhabitants
1 Blue Hippoe (only in tank 3 days)
1 4stripe Damsel (why oh why did we put him back in)
Spiny Blue lobster
2 emrald crabs
Sand sifting Starfish
assorted snails
unknown # of scarlet hermits
Corals
Frogspawn
Candy Cane
Flower Pot (was already scolded for having it but already have it)
Green Plate
Green Brain (closed)
Zoos
2 I have no idea the name of one looks like bubble coral other is a soft branching coral
Water:1.022 (swing arm)
PH 8.2
Amonia Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
calc 450
Temp 80.2 lights on temp
Question is about water changes. I never have gotten dif readings (more then one brand test) and have stopped doing any type of water changes for about a year now. Is this wrong to do?
I read about calk reactors etc and wonder if these are something I need to keep adding live stock. Is there other tests I should be conserned with? A fuge is planned but still working on fitting it into system
If I ever catch the damsel out I plan to add more fish but with him that is out of teh question for teh time being.
Looking for any constructive critism and ideas on what next.

msd2

Your not adding anything to the tank? My guess is that your bioload is so low its very slowly depleting the water of needed elements. W/O any additions eventually they will exhaust whats in the water.... Either you need to add suppliments or do the water changes. The water changes are much simpler simply because you dont have to check the levels of each particular element your adding.
If all your adding is topoff water I think your pretty lucky you have not had a crash. I know its a pain to do the water changes but its a good idea. And as stated before it will help start to bring down your nitrates.

damndamsel

Thanks for teh replies! When you say depleting what is it depleting? Do you mean the trace elements in teh salt mix etc? Or is there other things that maybe can be tested?

birdy

lol- those darn colors on the test kit.
While there are some people who do not do waterchanges, I believe that in time this can prove detrimental to the corals. There are trace elements in the salt mix that we do not test for like magnesium, strontium, and others. When you do water changes these are replaced.
With your pH, alk, and Ca at the correct levels I assume you are using some type of additive for those. A calcium reactor is really only needed if you have a ton of stony corals and you are having trouble keeping up with the demand.
I would recommend that you increase your salinity to 35ppt, or 1.025 SG, this is closer to sea water and is better for your inverts.