New refuge setup issues...

oceanjumper

Guys ~ and especially Broomer5 (you have been the largest inspirator for my intentions).
I have a 72 gl display tank with a 15 gl sump.
As you can see in the picture I have made a little rack on the left in the stand where I can put the white container at the bottom for automatic top-off water and on the shelf I intend to place a (small) refugium.
I really would like to have clear (acrylic) tank (16.1 x 13.4 x 10,8) with a cover. In the picture you see the lamp that I intend to use. It is a 27 Watt PC (I got the idea from http://reefsite.homestead.com/index.html) that I want to "hang: in the cover.
Well, I have a few questions that I really hope you guys can help me with.
- What store/website would you recommend to get the (acrylic) container?
- I plan to drill two outlets in the refuge tank and have gravity do the return to the sump (that's why I build the shelf). Where do you buy the bulkheads? At my local Homedepot and Lowe's they were not available.
- I have a CAP 2200 return pump to the display tank. Currently the flow is strong enough to keep the air bubbles out of the U-tube. Would you leave this as it is and get a small rio for the return from the sump to the refuge? Or would a tee from the return line be good enough (I guess this would be cheaper and I think a 2200 pump (estimated 550 gph) might be too strong anyway for 72 gl tank.
-What is a check valve and where can you get it?
- Is the weather not too cold ot order LS?
- What have guys implemented to prevent macroalgae blocking the outlets?
Believe me, I truly appreciate you taking the time for these questions. Where my knowledge allows, I try to answer as many questions from (other) newbees myself. It is due to the generosity of the members this board can thrive!
Cheers, Marc

oceanjumper

Oh - I forgot.
You see in the picture my hang-on skimmer. B/c of this thing the water level is a little too high to my liking, and also the skimmed water just falls back into the sump. Has anyone ever converted a hang-on so it would be better suitable for the sump? With this I am especially thinking of the necessity to really skim just the top-level water of the sump, or is any water okay (so I can get rid of the black skimmer box and lower the water level)

ocellaris_keeper

Hey,
thanks for the web site and the pictures. I have been trying to find an inexpensive way to set up a ref and your rubbermaid system is awesome.
thanks!! Sorry I can;t help with your question.

broomer5

OceanJumper ( Marc )
Glad you found what you were looking for using the search.
Sorry I did not see this post before - sounds like you're on your way now.
Bulkheads and check valves can be purchased online at most online aquarium stores.
The only thing I find that is reliable to keep outlets from becoming blocked with macro-algae is my fingers. Anything else may become part of the problem - instead of the solution.
They do make some nice large opening strainers - that thread onto the bulkheads though.
Never ordered live sand - can't tell you if it's too cold or not.
Wish you luck with your project.

oceanjumper

Thanks Broomer,
Thanks to Cap'n Pete - who posted a picture of a great refug- I found finally the tank that I'm looking for at www.petsmart.com (the XL Kritter Keeper, $15 excl. shipping).
What I am going to try is make a T from the overflow box. One line to my refuge, the rest to the sump. In the line to the refuge I will make a valve. I saw a ball valve at petsmart as well that you can place in a flexible hose. In the refuge I will drill two overflow holes with lines to the sump. This way every thing runs on gravity and I don't need additional sump capacity in case of power outages.
The design is all in my head but I think it should work. I will work on it this weekend and post a pic when it's done.
Thanks for all the posts that kept me challenged in coming up with the best solution for my tank. I just hope I thought of everything.....
Oh Broomer, I thought of a solution to avoid blockage of the outlets.... I have not seen it before and hopefully it will work. How about making a little "shelter (or gate)" in front of the outlets. I tried to make a pic of what I mean (see attached). Even if the ports are blocked by macro algae, water can still get in from the bottom. Only if the algae grow under the gate they would be able to block the outlets. WHat you think? Too far-sought?