new refugium

sundance1

OK,I just got my new refugium today.It is sectioned off in 3.Which end should the water come in and which end should it go out?Where do I locate the skimmer? :help:

reefiness

the water comes in one side and out the other and you can put the skimmer on either end but most have it in the same compartment as the water coming from the display.

aw2

If you're setting up an actual refugium and not just a sump, you'll want the skimmer to come after whatever compartment the live rock, macro algea, etc. is in.
If you have the skimmer running off of the drain water, from the tank, it'll pull out alot of nutrients that the macro needs to survive.
You'll want it set up something like this...

It doesnt have to be exactly like that, but you get the idea.

chris24

Just a quick question but is there some where I can look and find what I need to have to begin and shows me step by step how to set one up? Thanks

Chris

leboeuf

What kind of flow do you need to allow maximum nutrient absorbtion by the macro??? I think mine has been to much and thus drastcially thinned out my caulerpa. In fact I have not trimmed in over a year, and its getting sparse ?????

leboeuf

two power compacts that came with the Ecosystem setup. I admin they could be changed, however I have never experienced the removing handfuls of macro weekly. Could my 350+ lbs of LR and countless Xenia be extracting the nutrients that the macro needs? System has been up and running for 3 years, mature to say the least.
thx