New RO/DI unit!!

4chen500

Hey everyone! I'm planning on getting an RO/DI unit very soon ,sick of going to LFS for water! can anyone tell me if I should get a pump for the system,or just hook it up the way it is! dont know my current psi,but it doesn't feel weak?!? any info would be great!!

offshore80

I would just hook it up the way it is. It will only produce at a specific rate and the holding tank is pressurized. Just make sure you get one big enough to accommodate your needs. It takes about 3 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of R/O. I have 2 85 gallon per day units just to speed up the process.

rwp1202

I would double check with the manufacturer of your RO unit to find out what the rated pressure is supposed to be. We ran our at to LOW of pressure and ruined the membrane in about 6 months.
New membrane + new booster pump = Zero TDS
I wasn't sure I believed them unit I called around to a few other trusted sources, but they all agreed.
HTH

offshore80

My R/O units make "85 gal" per day. My city water pressure is 40 psi. I don't know the minimum city pressure it would take to run these systems. But, I would imagine unless you are on a well system with a small pump you should be fine.
My holding tanks are charged at 7 psi. When my unit is processing R/O it's about 3.5 gal an hour. TDS before both units is 156. after the process it's 2.
When I make a 60 gal water change at 3.5 an hour it takes awhile to make. That's why I run two. That gives me 7 gal per hour. A more tolerable wait time.