New Ro system.

cliffrouse11bas

I just ordered this ro/di system off ----. Please tell me what yall think. It is a 6 stage system di. It also has a 4 gallon holding tank. It filters 110 gpd. Here is the picture. I would post think but I am not allowed. Just put in reverse osmosis. It is sold by filter direct. If any one has one of these please let me know how they like it. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

blk822

I just got the same one but with out the tank and fauset. I hope it works good .Im getting mine in about 5 days. But for the price I can't complain. I can always get better filters for it if it dosn't work so well.

blk822

thats good to hear. I was worried. And it was really cheap some kind of promo price. CAnt wait for it to show up...come on UPS

cliffrouse11bas

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear. I also got the tds meter. Has anyone tested this water after they filtered some and see how pure it is?

cliffrouse11bas

Also when I get this unit up and running I also have an auto topoff unit coming in also. I am currently using distilled water from walmart and bionic daily. Right now I am not adding anything to my topoff water just pour right in. I am using about 7.5 ml of bionic daily to keep the calcium and alkalinity right. Should I add anything to the my new ro/di water before putting it into my auto topoff system? I was thinking about adding half strength kalk into my auto topoff unit. What do yall think???

cap'n pete

a couple of things to consider.
First, i looked at these today and all I can say is wow. What a deal, I would be very curious on the TDS (total disolved solids) reading on it, especially if it seems "fast". Don't get me wrong, I would order one right now if I had $100 laying around.
As far as the kalk to the auto top off... Kalkwasser is considered the best method of adding calcium by several, however there is no shortcut to adding it correctly. It needs to be dripped into the system at 1 drop per second or slower and done at night. Why, because it can cause pH fluctuation. At night your tank usually has more disolved CO2 gas, which causes pH to drop. Kalk raises pH, thta is why it is recommended to drip at night..... somebody correct me if I got that wrong. Anyway, I wouldn't add anything to the toppoff water.
I have been doing some research on RO/DI lately and have found several articles on it. What concerns me is that unit such as these, which take out everything in tap water, including chemicals designed to kill bacteria are removed. The water is then capable of becoming unhealthy because bacteria can multiply. I currently get my RO at my local Meijer from a Culligan machine that has a UV sterilizer on it. Of course that doesn't kill germs in my container, just on the water from the machine. I don't know if the holding container could harbor harmful bacteria or not, perhaps because there is no light no bacteria could flourish? I would love to get a under the sink unit with a tank so I could use it to drink too, but I'm not to sure about what I've read. I have seen additives from aquarium chemical companies to be added to RO/DI water... I wonder if these are meant to kill anything in it? Maybe someone has done some fact finding and could shed some light on this for us?

cap'n pete

I read most of the comments on filtersdirect ---- and am pretty impressed. Although getting 10 ppm off a RO/DI isn't great, it is acceptable. The lowest TDS level I saw posted was 4 ppm. I shot them an email asking about the whole unsafe water thing and will let you all know what they say. As I see it right now, you can't go wrong with it at only $100, especially because it takes standard sized filters. I am going to butter up the wife and see if I can get one... it would make my life soooo much easier. My thirty just acts like a big humidifier right now and I can't keep on top of the evaporation. Pretty sad when the Meijer is less than a mile from my house!