new rock ammonia

well i just got my 45lbs of live rock
and i put it in my 40 gallon system. after an hour i checked the ammonia and it is 8
. is this normal for new rock? thanks
oh yeah i have a 2 gallon water change that i am about to do and my skimmer is skimming.
also if it means anything i am using an api test kit and my tank is still heating up right now it is 72 degrees

bdhb12

Thats normal then, mines been above 8 for about a week now, they tell me it's fine for a month or so..

fishhunter

Originally Posted by 17cuddlefish
http:///forum/post/2953095
well i just got my 45lbs of live rock
and i put it in my 40 gallon system. after an hour i checked the ammonia and it is 8
. is this normal for new rock? thanks
oh yeah i have a 2 gallon water change that i am about to do and my skimmer is skimming.
also if it means anything i am using an api test kit and my tank is still heating up right now it is 72 degrees
That will happen. Your tank is just cycleing. Nothing to worry about. Just do another test in a few weeks.

coastie5685

yeah and be glad there is nothing live in the tank...
i just added uncured rock to my tank and ammonia and nitrite shot through the roof. killed xenia and almost feather duster and rock anemone.

took out rock and put in a bucket to cure.
hopefully nothing continues to die.
its normal for you though it will go down then nitrite up then nitrate up then no nitrite and no ammonia.