New Rock In My 132 Gallon Tank

laserblu

here are some pictures of my rock i just got. there is now a total of 140 lbs of rock in there as of now. i havent got it totally setup on how i want it as of yet. i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to set up live rock in a tank and make cool caves and what not and give me all your input you guys want to give me

browniebuck

I think that the best way to arrange your rock to form caves and such is to play around with it. I recently had to take nearly all of my rock out (and forgot how it was arranged) in order to catch a fish that was being picked on. When I went to put the rock back in, I rearranged it completely and am really happy with the results...you just have to keep playing with it (and be careful of any of your inverts...one of my anemone crabs lost a claw and a porcelain crab also lost a claw). One thing to make sure of is to keep the rock far enough away from the front and sides of your glass to allow for cleaning and open swimming space.

spikey96

I agree with above, I made the mistake of putting my rock too close to the glass and had some trouble when I went to clean. The best part is making it all your own. There is no wrong way to set up rock in my opinion, thats what makes everyones tank so great!!!

brandon7491

take all the rock work out,throw all the sand out,clean the glass with a razor blade,mag float. less rock work would mean more room for the fish to swim and corals to grow out. in all honstey now that i think about it you should should just recycle the whole tank.

anonome

Rock looks decent, but oh boy the sand has got to go!!! Yikes!!! Doesn't look like you have much flow in the tank. Without doing much for the sand the rock will eventually look like the sand.

horsin1963

Did you ever stack a deck of cards? looks like you have some nice rock to start with. think of stacking bricks when your doing it. no matter what you need a good foundation for what ever you decide to build. In my opinion you should never stack using the glass of the tank for support. take your rocks out, lay them out find out what you have to work with. get an idea in your head of what you can build with what you have. At the same time you can clean them with the tank water and a brush.. build it outside the tank take a picture, go get a cup of coffee and study the pic tear down and build again inside the tank. try to build without shadows you want all the rock to get as much light as possible. if you cant remember how it went together you have the pic for a guide. their is no one correct way to do it. just think on how you want the water to flow try noy to create dead spots in the tank. where uneatin food cant be seen and sucked out. attached is a pic of what I did to my rock tank set up is now on its 48th day everything cycled fine and quick. I started this build by washing all the rock in tank water, took me the entire day. then it run in another tank for almost a month B4 it tested ok now its in this tank and it took about a month for the tank to cycle .. I do have a small clean up crew working in it, I think they are the bomb they are allways working. only have one fish 2" blue hippo love him but he looks so, so small in this set up...
MY rec's
As stated B4 tear down. clean up, wash the sand or throw it out completely. rebuild in a clean enviroment. recycle the set up. TAKE YOUR TIME no need to rush you want something that when someone walks into the room they say WOW. Dont rush and go after the wow factor... your fish and inverts, corals or what ever you do decide to have living there will love you for it..... GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS..... Brian.. keep us posted on what your progress is..

horsin1963

I forgot to tell you... invest in more powerheads get the water moving in the tank.. Buy a overflow box hook up a sump or get a bigger filtration system, period. your sand is not moving get some critters that stirr it up. after you clean it up that is..