New Rock.

rjmang

I just got back from the local rock yard with 160lbs of 'Lacy Rock.' It is a very thin rock with holes throughout and natural indentations to act as caves. What kind of process do I need to undertake to ready it for my FO tank?

C

cowpoke

Rj
That is what I am using for my base rock
I assume you will wash it.
I really suggest you use a nice high pressure nozzle, you will be amazed how much junk can come out of such tiny holes, and you will get soaked doing it.
I washed mine on a white patio table so I could tell when the wash water was running clear.
Cowpoke

leopard_babe

I thought (could be mistaken) that you were supposed to put it in a rash can for a week or two and scrub it everyday, really hard. You should hav ea powerhead and a heater in the trash can. However I have no idea what kind of rock you are talking about, or if it is cured, or if you have cycled your tank.
Leopard

C

cowpoke

Lb
Lace rock is just raw rock
It is igneous in nature, which gives it it's holy nature, sorry about the pun.
Makes great caves and tons of bubble holes for all the wonderful critters.
Rj if you have an established tank going and are going to put that raw rock in there, sounds like you should follow Leopard's words of wisedom.
I am just starting out so mine was easier.
Cowpoke

rjmang

The tank is established. It has been running for about three years. The rock is not cured. I purchased it today from the rock yard and took it to the carwash. I then brought it home rinsed it off again and pur it in two clean 30 gallon trash cans. The sun will definately heat it up enough during the day. I added a little salt to the water. For what reason I do not know, seemed like a good idea. I am planning on leaving it in the trash cans for a day or two, then scrubbing it. Thanks for the advice Leopard. Any other ideas?

xenomorph

Same stuff I have in my tank. Plate like structure makes great building material. Other than dust and possibly any fungus (looks like freez dried coraline) it really needs no curing. Mine has started picking up coraline algea and seems to love the orange variety, although some read and teal have started comming through. The only thing I dont like about it is all the holes trap sediment/detritus without a good cleanup crew. The way I have mine setup, Ive only take up 25-30% of my floor space with over 100 pounds.