New rock

beefcake

I ordered about 100 pounds of live rock and I should be getting it tomorrow. I was wondering if you guys had any helpful tips before I put the stuff in the tank ? TIA !

jacksonpt

Exactly what JW said above. Then...
Siphon out about 10 gallons of water from your tank into a bucket. Dunk the rock in the bucket 10 or 12 times to get all the crap off it. With 100 lbs, you might need more than 10 gallons, but see how it goes. Lay all the rock out on a counter so you can see what each piece looks like. Give them a good look over... look for obvious corals, sponges, etc. Find the piece that you like most, or that have features you want to show off. Set those pieces aside and use the other rock first. Then place the 'good' pieces on top where they can be seen and admired by all who come to your home :D
Enjoy the rock... IMO, new rock is one of the coolest things you can get for a tank. I'll check out new rock twice a day and once a night for the first month or so I have it (looking for critters and such).

smellsfishy

when he rinses the rock, shoudnt he take off the obviously dead (black in color) stuff? I'm certainly no expert, but thats what I did with my mail-order rock. Lightly scraped with an old toothbrush. This seemed to help limit the die-off and ammonia. I've heard a dead sponge can decay for a long time after being placed in the tank... ?
just my .2 :)

beefcake

Got 2 big boxes packed full of rock! I must say I'm pretty impressed with it. All the rock had pretty purple coraline on it just like they said it would. Got it at a great price too. My tank is really full, filled it up alot more than I thought it would. 90 pounds in a 90 gallon seems about right to me. I could always squeeze more in but it looks full as it is now. I love the way I aquascaped it too, you can do neat stuff with a 90 gallon quarter round tank. :D

beefcake

One thing though was that no hitchhikers made it. There were a few crabs and a couple urchins but they didn't make it. At least I don't have to worry about any mantis shrimp.

ohiobart

You can order your rock right from saltwaterfish.com a friend of mine ordered like 90 lbs and paid less than what i paid for half at a local shop.

beefcake

I was going to order mine from here but I found another place thats cheaper and good quality. IMO
I E-mailed you guys.