New Saltwater tank setup

fishman2003

Hello people,
I have a 30gal tank that i'm converting to saltwater, I only wanted it to be a fish and live rock only tank. I've always kept a freshwater thank, i have experience with african cichilds. So anyways, what would be a recommend type of filter for this tank? and i was thinking on going with crushed coral for the bottom with live rock... What other type of equipment will I need?
Thanks for taking the time of reading this note.
Lou.

acez28

from what i have heard they say saltwater tanks need to be at least 55 gallons. But other stuff you will need are a protein skimmer.

michelle13

I would stay away from the crushed coral. I have it currently in my tank and am in the process of obtaining sand to replace it with. I always have nitrates at about 20-30 ppm. I don't have time to vacuum the crushed coral like you are supposed to so I have decided to change to a DSB. I have heard a lot more positives about the DSB's than I have about the CC as well.:)

fishman2003

Doesn't the skimmer makes the water evaporate much faster on a tank?
I don't want to sound stupid Michelle, but what does DBS stand for? I like the way sand looks so i wouldn't mind going with that.
thanks again
Lou

doodle1800

LPS has a 6 gal setup thats doing fine for years. 55 gal at least????? :D :D :D
Get a book - Conscientious Marine Aquarist or whatever...and read read read.

doodle1800

RedCorsair - how did you get tons of little feather dusters? I bought some live rock for the first time and wondering how to populate them with inverts..

karenjo

Help me.
I am getting a biowheel 330 for a 55 gal setup. Is this a good setup? Please I need to know. I will have live rock, tang, anemones,and a few other fish eventually. Will this work? Someone please tell me the best setup for a 55 gal tank.

karenjo

Help me.
I am getting a biowheel 330 for a 55 gal setup. Is this a good setup? Please I need to know. I will have live rock, tang, anemones,and a few other fish eventually. Will this work? Someone please tell me the best setup for a 55 gal tank.

michelle13

Fishman,
A DSB is a deep sand bed. I think to be considered deep it has to to be 4 to 6 inches in depth. As for a skimmer, I run one on both of my tanks. I think most people run a skimmer for increased water quality. I don't know a lot about skimmers, just that I run mine 24 hours a day!!!!!
Good Luck!