New Sand from cc-Pics

saltfin

Just a few pics of the new sandbed. Now just gotta get the water chem. up to snuff and find some neat soft corals. Any Suggestions with 260w PC in the 75g. I'd like lots a color.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by saltfin
Thanks waterfaller1. You're so fast
:D

Thats why I can't catch her
Looks great, I think its a vast improvment over the crushed coral.
Thomas

saltfin

No wonder Thomas You're a Turttle Herdder

:D Thanks Say how fast to bring up my Ca lever from 350 to 400??

T

thomas712

Originally posted by saltfin
:D Thanks Say how fast to bring up my Ca lever from 350 to 400??

What are you using for calcium suppliment?
I would test your alk, mag and calcium levels in the tank. Then I would add your normal calcium dose. Check this level again after a few hours. If you add to much calcium you could drive your alk down as well as your magnesium, it does need to be done slowly. For me the magnesium levels are critical to help keep alk and cal at the levels we would like to keep them.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally posted by waterfaller1
What would you do with me if you did??
:D

Well whatever I did with you as a Turtle Herdder you could be sure that I would take my time. :yes:

saltfin

I was FOWLR so I'm really new on the chemistry stuff
I don't have a ca suplement yet gotta go buy something today to get started. My test kit has a correction buffer but I'd probably use it all up to I thought I'd go get an 8 oz. bottle size to start my gradual intro into this. My test kit was the Red Sea Ca,P04,Nitrate one.
Ph=8.2 Do I have to do a separate Alk test or doesn't that cover this? Will I have to get a test kit for mag. as well??
Nitrate= Best I can read seems very light gray = 5ppm
Ca= 300 to 350ppm not sure not used to color differences yet
P04=0.15ppm piece of cake
sg=1.021 or 28.7ppt piece of cake
temp=77 Deg
I want to be: Soon
Ph=8.3
Temp 78 Deg
sg=1.023

T

thomas712

I would go full strength on the salinity, 1.025 or 35ppt.
Have the LFS test a sample of your water if you can and get a full battery of tests done.
Find out your alkalinity
You may want to read up on kalkwasser as well.
Thomas

saltfin

So then Alkalinity is a different test from the ph?
My lfs only reads ph, nitrite and ammonia. I'll have to get cought up on the kits and learn to read myself. I have seen some posts on Kalkwasser. I try to find them again if Possible. thanks