new school help

jdl

I placed my daughter in a new school this past year. She HATES it. This is a kid that didnt want to goto disneyworld because she would miss school. Now she doesnt even want to goto school.

I am more of a shut up and deal with it person, but cant do this with a 10 year old (5th grade). She really wants a razor 300s electric scooter. I was thinking about if she can goto school with a positive outlook, and try to like it, i get her the scooter? My fear with this is once she gets it, then back to being grumpy. any other suggestions?
why she hates it.
1. hates her teacher (loved last years teacher)
2. new friends, always hard to make new friends
3. is bored, she says she knows all this from last year
4. she takes one thing and makes it a massive negative
daily i point out the positive, she points out the negative. I give her suggestions but she is too scared to try new things. I know activities will help, but we missed soccer (last minute school change), so now have to wait till fall activities.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/2750308
3. is bored, she says she knows all this from last year
Remind her that the first few weeks are review for all the dumb kids.
Remember kids aren't dumb she could just be playing you like a fiddle.

scotts

I have been through this with my daughter. Unfortunately the only thing that I can say that will help is time. Time to find a group of friends, time to find that one friend, time to get used to things. I think, and let me repeat THINK, that she just does not have freinds yet and so is looking at everything in a bad light.
Don't worry about the taking one negative point and making it a massive negative. Case in point, my daughter was at a 3 hour party. Nancy showed up in the last 45 mintues of the party (may daughter hates Nancy) All I heard about was Nancy this, Nancy that. I would ask how the rest of the party went and she would tell me more about Nancy...... Kids.

Just keep pointing out the positive. I am not sure about the scooter, good and bad in that one. You know your kid better, but when she has a good day and does not complain too much, take her out for frozen yogurt.
Just my $0.01
Scott

stdreb27

In all seriousness, school shouldn't be fun anyway. Personally I HATED school. In elementary school especially. Didn't like jr. high. And the ONLY reason I tolerated highschool was that I was able to play baseball. Why did she like her old school? Was it friends or what is the school work?

girlina4x4

Has your daughter ever had an intelligence test? She could possibly be gifted and feeling frustrated with the material. You should ask the school counselor to look into it for you.