new seahorse is not eating

otto13

i just purchased three days ago and i am trying to get it to eat. he seems to peck at the amphipods in the tank but will not touch live brine or ghost shrimp. any ideas?

clayton

Seahorses need lots of food. Make sure the water movement in the tank is very low, almost nothing. They should have a constant supply of live food in a species tank. Seahorses take a long time to actualy take food even after they have seen it. It might be worth turning the pumps off during feeding for 5 mins. They should take live brine readily and should be fed other live foods as well.

otto13

i shut off all of the filters and power heads when i introduce brine to the tank but my seahorse still seems uninterested in them. she just pecks at the amphipods all day. does anyone know if you can buy them live?

broomer5

Otto, you can buy amphipods live but sort of expensive that way. If you want to try growing your own here is some info from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms ~ Link http://www.ipsf.com/
Looks like you buy some sort of certain type of algae "mat" and add live amphipods ~ then sit back and watch'm grow !!!
Good luck
Broomer

otto13

thanks for the info broomer. that site is really cool. i think i am going to purchase the plankton and amphipod sets.

otto13

she is still not eating brine or ghost shrimp. i have also adapted the tank to a low water flow. she just seems to be eating the amphipods. i have a bunch so i am not worried as of yet. thanks.

dennish

I recall seeing a special "feeder" designed especially for feeding seahorses. Perhaps someone else knows more about it and can give some additional details. I think it may have been on a site that sold live brine shrimp. If I find it again I'll post the website later.
-Dennis

angel eyes

Originally posted by otto13:
i just purchased three days ago and i am trying to get it to eat. he seems to peck at the amphipods in the tank but will not touch live brine or ghost shrimp. any ideas?

i am interested in starting a seahorse aquarium. how many do you have? Do you find it difficult in keeping up with their appetites.

otto13

mine does not eat anything that i give her. however, my tank is full of those little amphipod critters and she eats them. she refuses brine and ghost shrimp. these are the staples of seahorse food. everyone i have talked to says that they use live ghost and brine and their seahorses do great. i am thinking of trading mine in and getting two younger ones that are more aggressive.
[This message has been edited by otto13 (edited 06-13-2000).]

angel eyes

mine does not eat anything that i give her. however, my tank is full of those little amphipod critters and she eats them. she refuses brine and ghost shrimp. these are the staples of seahorse food. everyone i have talked to says that they use live ghost and brine and their seahorses do great. i am thinking of trading mine in and getting two younger ones that are more aggressive.
[This message has been edited by otto13 (edited 06-13-2000).]

what species of sea horse is she? I am interested in starting a dwarf seahorse only aquarium. Their appetities sound so large that I intend to dedicate an empty 10 gal aquarium just for brine shrimp breeding/harvesting...

angel eyes

she is a yellow atlantic. that is all i know right now.

thanks for the encouragement. will let you know how things go.

davey

I have had a black seahorse for about a month now and all I feed him is baby guppies!He loves them!The current in my tank does not seem to slow him down at all. good luck!

dennish

I found the site with the feeder. It is at http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/product.htm#bs-feeder
Here is what it says:

[hr]
Adult Brine Shrimp Feeder

This new and innovative "Brine Shrimp Feeder" designed by marine aquarist, Paul Baldassano, provides slow feeding fish (seahorses and cowfish) with a continuous supply of live adult brine shrimp. (Read BSD Library article by Paul Baldassano). This device (also known as the "Seahorse Feeder") is a 1 ¼"x 6"screened cylinder that sits on the tank bottom. The screen size is small enough to keep the adult brine shrimp from escaping, but large enough for the fish to suck the shrimp out. This feeder also works with other selective feeders such as Copperband Butterflyfish, Long-nosed Butterflyfish, pipfish, and a variety of seahorse species. (View picture).
Package Size Price/Unit
1 feeder $ 9.95

[hr]
Hope this helps if your interested.
-Dennis

otto13

well, today i traded my yellow atlantic seahorse in for store credit and purchased two black dwarf brazilian seahorses. yeahhh.
i also ordered the brine shrimp feeder off that web site. i will tell you how it works out. the cool thing about the seahorses is that they are farm raised and guaranteed to eat frozen mysis shrimp. i feed them today and they ate it. i couldn't believe it. oh, thanks for the email "angel eyes". i will be starting my fish web site soon. i just need to get some better quality photos from my digital camera.

angel eyes

well, today i traded my yellow atlantic seahorse in for store credit and purchased two black dwarf brazilian seahorses. yeahhh.
i also ordered the brine shrimp feeder off that web site. i will tell you how it works out. the cool thing about the seahorses is that they are farm raised and guaranteed to eat frozen mysis shrimp. i feed them today and they ate it. i couldn't believe it. oh, thanks for the email "angel eyes". i will be starting my fish web site soon. i just need to get some better quality photos from my digital camera.

glad to hear of your sucess!
looking forward to the photos.