New Seahorse Tank

jeanheckle

Well our new sea horse tank arrives tomorrow. We are getting a 48 gallon hex tank. We will start this thread as a diary, so no pics till tomorrow

teresaq

Congrats, have you decided on a species yet. Filteration, Lighting??
Cant wait for pictures.
T

jeanheckle

Well so far just the tank, we will take all suggestions for what we need to do now. We will post the pics of the bare tank tomorrow and then go from there.
This is what comes with the tank:
48 Gallon Oceanic w/stand
Glass Cover
Magnum Canister Filter
Aqua Clear 400 Power Head
Won CU-125 Protien Skimmer
Undergravel Filter

teresaq

no glass cover and no undergravel filter. Everything else sounds good. You will need sand and live rock and hitches.
T

sueandherzoo

Your set up sounds very much like my horse tank: 46 gallon bowfront, glass top, 405 Fluval canister, skimmer. I actually find that between the flow from the canister filter and the return from the skimmer I don't need an additional powerhead in there. Experiment when you have yours up and runnig but you might find that there is too much flow with a canister filter, skimmer, and powerhead. The horses need a few "calm" places they can rest with low flow.
My glass top came in two pieces so I removed the back half where all the equipment and cords are and the front half still has the glass top. Seems to work fine for me. Im not sure about the undergravel filter - I didn't think those were recommended anymore but I'm sure you'll hear from others who know more about them than I do.
Will you be adding live rock or are you going to get all your filtration from the canister? If you're going to add rock, start looking for pieces that have "hitching posts" built in - the more, the better.
Have fun, and keep us posted!
Sue

alyssia

I would skip the glass cover and undergravel filter, like Teresa said. Keep us posted! I used to have kudas, I loved them, I am thinking about turning one of the tanks I have now into a seahorse tank again.
Tonga branch (think that's what it's called) works good for hitching posts, and so do tree sponges.

jeanheckle

We def won't be using the undergravel. Here is the bare tank. We are doing a leak test today and cleaning it up.

jeanheckle

We are filling with salt water today, so I imagine we are about 4 to 6 weeks away from horses. With lots of questions between now and then.

sueandherzoo

If you are a familiar sight to the staff at your LFS, tell them you are about to set up a horse tank and ask them to keep an eye open for pieces of live rock that can serve as hitching posts. I alerted the crew at my LFS and every time I stopped in after that one kid in particular would get all excited to show me pieces of rock he had set aside for me that he thought would be perfect for little horse tails. Most were pieces that had broken off of bigger pieces so the cost was always minimal (sometimes free) but they were great for gluing onto existing live rock.
Also start plotting and planning the tank aquascaping - they need some free space from top to bottom and also from left to right if they are going to do their mating dance properly. And even though they can handle some areas of high flow, they also need some spots with low flow when they need to rest. And then find a place where you can incorporate a feeding dish in the low-flow area.
Have fun!!!!
Sue

jeanheckle

After reading one of your posts, John is determined to have an old western theme. He found a place in England that sells aquarium pieces that replicate the old west, including hitching posts and saloon.

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by jeanheckle
http:///forum/post/2888937
After reading one of your posts, John is determined to have an old western theme. He found a place in England that sells aquarium pieces that replicate the old west, including hitching posts and saloon.
LOL That's awesome! Now I REALLY can't wait to see pix! Maybe you can start building some sort of "corral" or fencing to stick in the sand that they can "hitch" onto. But as I said in my original "western" thread -- finding those tiny saddles is going to be a real challenge.

Sue