New Setup

mpdan

I have a 75 gallon tank that used to be fowlr this time around I want it to be a reef tank. I just took down the tank, moved, and have the tank back together. I am using some old live rock I had in the tank before, new live rock, and some old not live rock. I also changed from crushed coral to sand. And from compact fluorescent to 2x Kessil a150w lights. I am using the old filter socks and the raw shrimp to start the cycle. Should I be running the lights during the cycling process? Also I know I need more live rock but was hoping to add small pieces as I go will that cause a problem? Any input on aqua-scape for this tank would be appreciated. Thanks

flower

Looks like you have some nice caves...make sure rock is on the bottom...don't build on shifting sand (just in case, you or another reader didn't know)
You can add live rock a little at a time...but it wouldn't hurt to just put a new piece of rock in a tub for a week and not even take a chance. You don't need lights for the first cycle. Now is the time to set up the quarantine tank and save yourself some grief when it's time to start stocking your critters.

mr. limpid

+ one with Flower's comments. Also make sure to QT anything wet even LR ick can attach itself to anything.That is how I got my first ick outbreak by adding LR right into my DT. Do you have a protein skimmer a must for a reef tank.

mpdan

I do have a protein skimmer I figure no need to set it up yet with no fish in the tank. Am I wrong about that should it be running through the cycle?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdan http:///t/394518/new-setup#post_3511374
I do have a protein skimmer I figure no need to set it up yet with no fish in the tank. Am I wrong about that should it be running through the cycle?
Your good, you won't need a skimmer until about 2 months after you add your fish. It's a personal choice to ever even run one. I have a skimmer on my 90g, but not on the 56g...both have happy critters, the tanks are just fine. I did feel an absolute need when I had a reef, now it's just FOWLR (seahorses)

mr. limpid

+ one with Flower. I wouldn't run any filtration other than the LR during cycling. After you add creatures then start up additional filtration and adding macro's is a big plus.

mpdan

Thank you for the replies I appreciate the answers. I kind of lost interest in the hobby but convinced my wife if it was a reef I would love the hobby again. I was very surprised when I got the ok to spend the $500 on the lights. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdan http:///t/394518/new-setup#post_3511388
Thank you for the replies I appreciate the answers. I kind of lost interest in the hobby but convinced my wife if it was a reef I would love the hobby again. I was very surprised when I got the ok to spend the $500 on the lights. I am sure I will be back with more questions.
Nothing beats the joy of an understanding spouse. Maybe she will develop an interest herself.

mpdan

hey again ok first week of cycling done water test comes back ph 8.2, ammonia 1.0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 40ppm so now i wait for these minus ph to spike and come down to 0?