New Shark tank

rob44

I want to get a shark tank and want advise on what to get. I heard that there are some sharks that do not out grow the tank. Is this true what kind/name are they? I figured on getting a 180 or 300 gallon tank bow front seamless glass, reef ready with a sand bottom and coral no live rock. I would also like some other fish in the tank and am open for suggestions.
Thanks

lestregus

try to get the 300...then you could look into banded cats - which you can buy as eggs, epaulette, wobbygong or horn sharks. i'm not even sure you could keep these as adults in a 300 but someone more knowledgable with sharks will chime in :D

gasguzzler

I agree. Buy the lagest tank you can fit in your house. All of the so called "aquarium sharks" grow incredibly rapid. Your Bamboo will grow 1 1/2 feet in the first year, which will be longer than a 180 is wide. This leads to stress on the animal and a rapid decline in health. I would also discourage the use of coral. A domino effect could take place regarding the waste the shark puts off. There are plenty of faux corals that would not give the problems stated above. If you are dead set on a 180, try a coral catshark or what about a ray species if you decided not to go with the reef approach? Both are very rewarding.

matrix2316

The larger the better. With a few of the bamboo sharks and the coral catchark you will be ok with an 180 though. They put of alot of waste and coral will not normaly work. You should have a few pieces of live rock for natural filtration. What you can do to slow the growth of your new shark is to lower the water temp a bit. 70-74 will slow growth down a little. Most people who own sharks keep them around 80 and this will cause a shark to grow quick and is fine if you have a very large aquarium. Lowering the temp does not hurt the shark but slow the metabolism down. Sharks will always grow and if the tank is to small they will still grow but with grave consiquences. Rays are also nice to have.

tvan

Throw the live rock in your sump. Build caves or somthing the animals can hide under during lighted hours(catsharks and wobbies tend to be creatures of the night). The more swimming room for these animals the better. Also cover your tank sharks like to jump.
HTH
Tom

tony detroit

The fake coral decorations usually have sharp edges......not a good idea. The plastic ones are pretty good though, but rather expensive.