new shells for hermits?

velocity

i have about 20 small crabs in my tank and i was wondering if i need to get empty shells for them to change in or no?

texag04

I have eight hermits and they change shells frequently (like ladies trying on dresses). I wouldnt let them compete for shells it can get ugly.

texag04

I hear small (not full grown) hermits are the most competitive with shells and will kill for them. Only the fittest survive.

Originally posted by TexAg04
I hear small (not full grown) hermits are the most competitive with shells and will kill for them. Only the fittest survive.

I have a small blue leg that took out a red-leg almost twice it's size today... I just put that red-leg in there.:mad:

Originally posted by Fish_Boi
that happens quite often, blueleg and scarlets should never be mixed......kinda like the class bully and a choir boy

I beg to differ :)
I think if there were extra shells in there, there wouldn't have been a problem...
So I've got a hundred shells on their way to me rightn now. :)
EDIT by TG4F
Let me just clarify... I think the murders will happen either way... I just believe they will be reduced greatly with extra homes being easily accessible

dmarie120

Yes, in answer to your question, you do need to get them more shells to move into. You can either buy them at your lfs (usually) or order some online.
Every once in a while I'll see a shell I like at my lfs and ask them to give it to me. I've never had anyone tell me no.

ckayb01

Yes get shells. I have 7 scarlets and 5 bluelegs in my tank and I have put about 10 shells in there with them and no fighting yet.

charliet

We just added a bunch of new hermits as we upgraded our tank and were amazed that as soon as they were let loose in the tank they were shopping for new shells. Even the smallest guys were switching.

logen32

i had mine for about 6 monts now and it didnt move from his shell once. It is a red-leg hermit is that normal?

goldenboy

I bought 100 shells from this website. A lot of variety in sizes. It put out a great smell when I boiled them to sterilize....

soupysteve

My LFS gave me a handful of empty shells. Nothing sucks more to see that a hermit wandered out of it's shell to look for a new one, and see that he didn't quite make his voyage...

texag04

Originally posted by logen32
i had mine for about 6 monts now and it didnt move from his shell once. It is a red-leg hermit is that normal?

Only if he is full grown. If not, then he is really content with his shell.