New Skimmer....comments

clown-lover

I'm in the market for a new skimmer. The one i have is going out on me....it just doesn't work like it used to.
i need something slim and it needs to be hang on.
i found this one and i want to know what everyone thinks before i dive in a buy it
JB180 External Hang on Aquarium/ Reef Protein Skimmer w/powerhead.
This skimmer improves skimming efficiency and gas exchange with ventri action. Water and air swirl together and produce abundent mini air bubbles in the vortex chamber, rapidyly drawing out dissolved waste. Bubble foam is collected in a top mounted collection cup. It is very easy to use and maintain and an ideal skimmer for new and experienced marine aquarists.Skimmer rated for aquarium up to 180g. Unit completed with 250 GPH powerhead.
Dimension around: 19"Hx3.5"D.

clown-lover

i've looked at those too....but this one, i found for a great price....i just wonder if it works good for the price
thanks

Originally posted by traib
Get a Remora.

I conquer....
Bak paks are decent too.
Bad thing about skimmers is that when you try to save $ you always end up losing because the cheapies never work right. JMO.

benter

I have the same skimmer and it seems to work fine for me!! It removes a nice 1/2 to a full cup every other day of some funky stuff:eek: :eek: My friend has been reefing a lot longer than I, and he is surprised by the amount of skimmate and quality it removes for the price..

ophiura

I feel your pain...I'm getting pretty philosophical on skimmers. I really liked a Red Sea Berlin that I found a lot of people don't seem to like - and really didn't like a far pricier precision marine.
I'm considering a DIY at this point.
Ya know, the weird thing is, you look at skimmer bodies, and there is just not much too them. Sure some of those mentioned are quite 'different' in their design. But I just can't see why some of these things are SO expensive and yet look so similar.
So MO is, try it....they are cheap. For the price, they may work well. The main qualifier is that "for the price" part. I think that how well skimmers work is really relative for some people. I think people may fiddle with some and get them to work better, some outright modify them to get them to work better, and you may need to do that. It probably won't be as great as some of the big names but then I am really truly surprised at what people are doing with 2 rubbermade containers and some PVC fittings for around $20!
Give it a go. Might work well, might not...you can probably fidget to get it to work. But overall, apart from Benter I can't find much "feedback" on it out there. So if you do try it, post some results on it! Otherwise, keep an eye out for used skimmers like folks mention here...that will cut some $$ off.

arkey.d

With skimmers it's usually you get what you pay for. I recommend the AquaC Remora or the CPR BakPak.
Check out that Auction sight everyone frequents... they had 2 used remoras on it, that the auctions just ended and they went for about $100 each...
If you want some links for online distributers that will save you some money. Email Me and I'll send them to you

msd2

No comment to add on the HOB skimmer but clown-lover your avater looks very familar. Do you by chance have an interest also in SLK's?

clown-lover

ok....thanks for all the info....i know i have to make a decision and fast....my collection cup doesn't even collect anything anymore....and it's driving me crazy with all the noises it's making
the funny thing is.....i have a Remora!!!!....paid around $150 for it
which brings me to my next question.....how long should these things last?

msd2

lol sorry mistaken id then. Someone has the same avater at a mercedes benz roadster site i visit.

ishtar

Jebo 180 is a nice quiet skimmer that is less than half the price of many other skimmers. The back pak in comparison is going to run louder and its shape seems a little more bulky even though it might be smaller.
The jebo is half the price for far better than half as good.
If you do go with it, it will take another break in for a day or so to beggin skimming. Bubbles will shoot out for a few days then it seems to clear up great.
I have both