New Skimmer, Corals look Great!!

lbannie

I can't believe it. I just picked up a used coralife super skimmer 65 from eBay for $30. Didn't realize how big it would be! I hooked it up and although its a bit loud it seems to be working. It's pulled out very dark green liquid. Maybe 1/2 a cup?
Before the skimmer, my Duncan's and palys were always sort of closed. Now they look great!! My toadstools have all their polyps out too. I'm amazed!
I also got a reef octopus bh2000 that should be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping that one will be quieter. Can't believe I waited this long to get a skimmer! This isn't a coincidence right?

pegasus

If you didn't have a skimmer before, it's no coincidence. A skimmer is the heart of a marine filtration system, as it removes the majority of nasties from the water.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3537892
If you didn't have a skimmer before, it's no coincidence. A skimmer is the heart of a marine filtration system, as it removes the majority of nasties from the water.

Hi, I'm afraid that isn't true. The skimmer ONLY removes organic waste, nothing else, and you don't even have to have one. The heart of the marine filtration system is the live rock. Most people with reefs over-skim their systems, and have to add organics for the corals to feed on...if you run the skimmer when you feed the corals, it takes the food out so the corals don't get it as they should, thus wasting your food additive. That doesn't mean a skimmer doesn't have it's place in the reef system, but it is not a must have piece of equipment.

ibanni, a coral "sort of" closes when it feeds. They are now wide open seeking food. So when you feed your corals, turn off the skimmer for the day. You should add food for the filter feeding corals to the water once, or maybe twice a week...be careful to not overfeed, what the corals don't absorb, feeds nuisance algae....which is where the skimmer does it's job, removing the extra organics from the water.

LOL, I'm sorry to hear you purchased a Coralife skimmer...I so hated mine, I gave it away. Microbubbles and overflowing were my problems with it...loud I could have lived with. The reef octopus that I have now however, I love.

pegasus

You are correct, Flower. Perhaps I over-emphasized the role of a skimmer, but I feel it plays a very vital role in the filtration system. Skimmers complement the natural filtration by removing organics before they have a chance to break down into ammonia, nitrites, and subsequently nitrates. Live rocks and live sand carry the bulk of the load, but if those are not in large enough volumes to handle the load (1 1/2 lbs rock per gallon and 4" sandbed), then they won't be able to handle a heavy bioload. I added 20 more pounds of rock to my system about two months ago, and also upgraded my skimmer. The new skimmer is pulling about 1/4 cup of skimmate every two days. It's a X2000i with an 8" body, so the cup holds a lot of skimmate. After I feed my filter feeders, the skimmate is bright green. This is due to the PhytoPlankton that I feed. If it were not for the skimmer, the excess food would stay in the water column feeding algae. My tank is 125G and the refugium is rated for 300 gallons, but there's no way I would rely on the refugium alone to remove excess nutrients. As i mentioned in another post, the explosion of yellow ball sponges growth tells me that the system is still high in nutrients. There are alternative methods to skimming, such as algae scrubbers, but most people don't have the room nor patience for such setups. Mechanical filters required constant maintenance and the media costs add up after a short period of time. Short of pump failure, a skimmer is a one-time purchase. Between the skimmer upgrade and refugium, I have been able to reduce my water changes to once a month. Nitrates are not high, either. I change water to replenish trace elements so I don't have to dose.

I'm sorry to hear about the Coralife skimmer, too. Skimmers are NOT created equally. If you are going to buy a skimmer, that is one item you do not want to skimp on. I love my Reef Octopus, and would pit it against most of the "top-end" skimmers any day.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3537939
You are correct, Flower. Perhaps I over-emphasized the role of a skimmer, but I feel it plays a very vital role in the filtration system. Skimmers complement the natural filtration by removing organics before they have a chance to break down into ammonia, nitrites, and subsequently nitrates. Live rocks and live sand carry the bulk of the load, but if those are not in large enough volumes to handle the load (1 1/2 lbs rock per gallon and 4" sandbed), then they won't be able to handle a heavy bioload. I added 20 more pounds of rock to my system about two months ago, and also upgraded my skimmer. The new skimmer is pulling about 1/4 cup of skimmate every two days. It's a X2000i with an 8" body, so the cup holds a lot of skimmate. After I feed my filter feeders, the skimmate is bright green. This is due to the PhytoPlankton that I feed. If it were not for the skimmer, the excess food would stay in the water column feeding algae.
My tank is 125G and the refugium is rated for 300 gallons, but there's no way I would rely on the refugium alone to remove excess nutrients. As i mentioned in another post, the explosion of yellow ball sponges growth tells me that the system is still high in nutrients. There are alternative methods to skimming, such as algae scrubbers, but most people don't have the room nor patience for such setups. Mechanical filters required constant maintenance and the media costs add up after a short period of time. Short of pump failure, a skimmer is a one-time purchase. Between the skimmer upgrade and refugium, I have been able to reduce my water changes to once a month. Nitrates are not high, either. I change water to replenish trace elements so I don't have to dose.

I'm sorry to hear about the Coralife skimmer, too. Skimmers are NOT created equally. If you are going to buy a skimmer, that is one item you do not want to skimp on. I love my Reef Octopus, and would pit it against most of the "top-end" skimmers any day.

Hi, Pegasus, this is just for educational purposes...I'm not trying to hurt your feelings and I hope and pray you don't get mad at me. it's hard to express ourselves sometimes when everything is in writing and not face to face.

The stuff your skimmer pulls out will not become ammonia, nitrites or eventually nitrates. Organics it is the product of what happens AFTER that stuff breaks down. Phytoplankton are single celled plants that all larger critters use as food. ...I'm sharing an article I read that will explain it much better, it's called ...The nitrogen cycle | in depth...

http://reefscapes.net/articles/articles/2002/nitrogencycle.html

Skim mate is quite frankly for lack of a better way of saying it.....it's the same as the phytoplanton that you feed your system, it's what your skimmer is pulling out. The more phytoplankton you add...the more scum the skimmer will pull out. On a reef we want to overfeed our corals to get them as big and healthy as we can...the skimmers role is to absorb what the corals don't. In a reef tank, we want the corals to out compete the algae for food. So we load the tank with algae eaters, feed the corals, and then remove the extra food before the algae can use it to grow out of control.

The filtration system is:

[*]The rock and sand (actually the live critters that live in it).
[*]The good bacteria that grows on all surfaces
The chemicals (media, such as carbon and Chemipure)
The mechanical filter...HOB, Canister or sump with filter media sponge to catch the larger particles.

A skimmer (if you choose to use it) is not a "filter" it only removes the organics from the water, to prevent the algae from getting foods it needs to grow on. So the only thing that will happen if you don't have a skimmer, is healthy algae...In my 56g, I have very healthy macroalgae.... If you don't run a skimmer
, your fish, inverts, nor corals will die. It just isn't a must have piece of equipment. Nor will running one make the corals look better...it's job is to remove the filter feeding corals food out of the water.

I have a 90g that I run a skimmer on (Reef Octopus), so I'm not against a skimmer, but I also have a 56g that I don't have a skimmer on at all...nothing but a small HOB and macroalgae.

All fish tanks must have a good amount of surface area for good bacteria to build colonies on, all systems need live rock critters to eat and break down waste, all systems need some kind of mechanical filter with filter media to remove larger particles and keep the water looking clear...but not all systems need a skimmer. Water changes is the usual method for removing nitrates. 99% of all people do once a month water changes...skimmer or not.

The cheapest, most reliable and easiest method for controlling nitrates, phosphates, ammonia and nitrites...is macroalgae. it feeds on everything, and when you harvest it out of the system, you remove the nasty's with it. It only costs $10.00 a pint, or free is you have a friend who has it. Harvesting is just a matter of reaching into the tank and plucking it out.

LOL...Just so you can prepare yourself for the shock, a skimmer is not a one time purchase, as with all machines, it breaks down and must be replaced. The "pump" costs nearly the same amount as a new skimmer....I know because I have replaced two already on my Reef Octopus.

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3537978

Hi, Pegasus, this is just for educational purposes...I'm not trying to hurt your feelings and I hope and pray you don't get mad at me. it's hard to express ourselves sometimes when everything is in writing and not face to face.

The stuff your skimmer pulls out will not become ammonia, nitrites or eventually nitrates. Organics it is the product of what happens AFTER that stuff breaks down. Phytoplankton are single celled plants that all larger critters use as food. ...I'm sharing an article I read that will explain it much better, it's called ...The nitrogen cycle | in depth...

I don't get mad when I discuss/debate principles or theories. There are lots of articles that will back up what I mentioned, even though I sometimes don't express myself correctly. For example (C&P'd from DrsFoster&Smith):

"Maintaining good water quality is the single most important factor in establishing a healthy and beautiful marine aquarium. In order to successfully house marine species, the aquarium water needs to be free of toxic substances such as ammonia and nitrite. In an established aquarium, ammonia and nitrite are promptly converted into a less toxic substance called nitrate through a natural process known as the nitrogen cycle.
In low to moderate concentrations, the end product of the nitrogen cycle (nitrate) is not toxic to fish and invertebrates. However, certain marine species, such as corals, are sensitive to even low levels of nitrate. They require excellent water quality with low nitrate levels to thrive. For this reason, many aquarists feel that a protein skimmer is an absolute necessity for saltwater aquarium systems - especially reef aquariums or those that are heavily stocked with large or carnivorous fish.

Protein skimmers actively remove waste products from fish, plants, and invertebrates (along with any dead organisms or uneaten food) before it has a chance to break down and compromise water quality. In addition to their primary function of removing organic materials from aquarium water, protein skimmers have many secondary benefits. Through the removal of dissolved waste materials, protein skimmers reduce nitrate buildup
, help prevent aggressive algae growth, and improve water clarity to enhance light penetration for a brighter, cleaner, and clearer aquarium. With less waste to process, your existing filter will also be able to function more efficiently, reducing the amount of time you spend on regular aquarium maintenance."

I'm not a rocket scientist, and I'm certainly not a marine biologist, but it sounds like the skimmer's purpose is to remove the organics that break down and lead to nitrates. Rebuttal?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3538003
I don't get mad when I discuss/debate principles or theories. There are lots of articles that will back up what I mentioned, even though I sometimes don't express myself correctly. For example (C&P'd from DrsFoster&Smith):

"Maintaining good water quality is the single most important factor in establishing a healthy and beautiful marine aquarium. In order to successfully house marine species, the aquarium water needs to be free of toxic substances such as ammonia and nitrite. In an established aquarium, ammonia and nitrite are promptly converted into a less toxic substance called nitrate through a natural process known as the nitrogen cycle.
In low to moderate concentrations, the end product of the nitrogen cycle (nitrate) is not toxic to fish and invertebrates. However, certain marine species, such as corals, are sensitive to even low levels of nitrate. They require excellent water quality with low nitrate levels to thrive. For this reason, many aquarists feel that a protein skimmer is an absolute necessity for saltwater aquarium systems - especially reef aquariums or those that are heavily stocked with large or carnivorous fish.

Protein skimmers actively remove waste products from fish, plants, and invertebrates (along with any dead organisms or uneaten food) before it has a chance to break down and compromise water quality. In addition to their primary function of removing organic materials from aquarium water, protein skimmers have many secondary benefits. Through the removal of dissolved waste materials, protein skimmers reduce nitrate buildup
, help prevent aggressive algae growth, and improve water clarity to enhance light penetration for a brighter, cleaner, and clearer aquarium. With less waste to process, your existing filter will also be able to function more efficiently, reducing the amount of time you spend on regular aquarium maintenance."

I'm not a rocket scientist, and I'm certainly not a marine biologist, but it sounds like the skimmer's purpose is to remove the organics that break down and lead to nitrates. Rebuttal?

Hi,

I'm very relieved that you are mature enough to be able to debate without an attitude...

LOL...I think you were doing pretty good on your understanding, until the last paragraph. Skimmers do not remove fish waste nor the dead organisms or uneaten food....That stuff is the live rock critters, and CUCs job. That higher on the food chain stuff starts out as ammonia. A skimmer will not prevent ammonia, nitrites or nitrates in your reef system. I wouldn't run my reef without either a skimmer, and GFO reactor...or...at least macroalgae in a refugium. a skimmer takes out the organic waste AFTER it is broken down, not before.

If you run the skimmer on a new tank...it won't do squat. You toss in a chunk of raw shrimp (or sadly a live fish) to kick start the cycle, and you will have ammonia, then nitrites and last nitrates to complete the cycle. The skimmer won't slow it down, nor prevent it. In fact the skimmer won't do anything, not even make skimmate. Over time (the result of stuff breaking down) the skimmer will produce foam...but unless you remove the nitrates via a water change...they will remain, the skimmer can't remove your nitrates until it has been broken down to a lower point on the nitrogen cycle, by then more nitrates are added by the critters you keep in the tank, and the food you feed them...the skimmer will only help reduce the extra organic waste from becoming algae fodder. It will absolutely not reduce your nitrates. I have to ask...Did you even read the article I posted? Can you produce an article that says a skimmer can reduce your nitrates, and how it does it?

Also a skimmer will not lower the maintenance schedule, it actually adds another step...empting and cleaning the skimmer cup. I'm afraid we are stuck with the chore of upkeep no mater what, unless you want to invest in keeping macroalgae...or a turf scrubber to absorb all the nasty's that our chemical methods try to do. Then it's just different maintenance...you must spend the time to pluck the extra macros that outgrow (harvesting) or cleaning the turf scrubber every week (which really sounds like a huge hassle to me). The only real difference between the two methods is really cash flow...keeping up with macroalgae or a turf scrubber as opposed to mechanical means, will also keep money in your pocket.

There are many, many ways of keeping a reef tank, we do what fits us best, there is no right or wrong way as long as the critters are healthy. If we have a problem, look to those who have overcome it before, because they have hands on experience. If you ask someone how they manage their system, you will get their method, if you ask 100 people, and you will get 100 different answers, with similar points of agreement.

The skimmer has it's place, but it is not a must have piece of equipment, since you can get better results with macros and/or regular water changes. That is because along with a skimmer, you still need a mechanical method to remove PO4 (phosphate), and nitrates...even then without water changes, you must dose the tank to keep the trace elements up.

No matter what, there is work to be done. LOL...I even had to add RO water to my holding tank for my ATO system...so instead of just topping off the tank, I topped off the ATO container. It actually added more work, and didn't save me any time at all, but it did keep the SG more Stable for my sea critters, and that was my goal.

lbannie

Thanks guys, your debate is very informative! I hope to be this knowledgable someday.
Flower, sounds like when I upgrade to a larger tank with sump I want to have macro algae. Anything to have results with less cords and additives!! My fiancé already thinks I'm going to burn down the house!
As for my reef octopus bh 2000, it arrived! The thing is MUCH bigger than I thought!! I'm questioning myself about it being too much?

pegasus

Thanks, Flower... I learned to keep my attitude in check when I was a super moderator for SapphireTech.com's help forum. However, to back my statement, the last paragraph was not my understanding... it was a quote from Drs Foster & Smith. There are thousands of other articles stating the same thing. BRS, LA Fishguys, and many other have some interesting youtube videos that explain the skimming process, and they say the same thing. I don't want to appear as argumentative, but this is something I've done extensive research on. Skimmers will not remove ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates... but even that isn't entirely true. By carbon dosing, nitrates can be removed by skimming because the skimmer will remove the bacteria that consumes nitrates, therefore removing nitrates from the system. The main function of the skimmer is to remove organics before they break down into the less desirable chemicals, bypassing the nitrogen cycle. I can testify from experience, a good skimmer WILL reduce NO3. My previous skimmer could not keep up with the bioload of my system, and my macros grew like crazy. My NO3 was always skyrocketing, and I had to change water no less than twice a month. Sometimes more! My refugium consisted of half fern caulerpa and half chaeto, and they literally filled the refugium. I was harvesting 1/4 of my chaeto and a good portion of the caulerpa every two weeks, Since my skimmer upgrade, my NO3 levels are so low I lost all of my fern caulerpa, and I haven't harvested any chaeto in over a month. It has stopped growing, and the only change to the system is the skimmer. I pull 1/4 cup of skimmate in an 8" collection cup every two days, which adds up to a LOT of organics being removed from my system. I would rather lose my macro by reducing the nitrogen cycle (via skimming) than to have lots of macros and high nitrates.

lbannie, the reef octopus bh2000 is tall, but that's how skimmers work. Protiens and amino acids are ionically attracted to the bubbles, and the longer the contact time, the more that will become attached. I didn't notice the size of your tank, so it's hard to say if it's too much. It rated for 140G lightly stocked, down to 75G heavily stocked. It's best to oversize the skimmer so it will accommodate your needs as your system grows. Depending on the space available, you could also add an HOB refugium to your tank. It will complement the skimmer, and perhaps become a breeding area for copepods and amphipods. My fuge and tank are full of them, and they are not just a part of the cleanup crew, they are a natural food source. There aren't many fish that will pass up the chance to snack on a tasty pod. A sump is basically a chamber for a skimmer. Most have another chamber for bioballs and filter media. If you upgrade, you will want to add a refugium. It's named that because it contains a "refuge" that's separated from the main tank. This is where your macros would be, along with a small cleanup crew, pods, or whatever you want... isolated from the rest of the system.

lbannie

Thanks Pegasus! I have a 40 breeder, I guess I would say heavily stocked. (9 fish) I haven't hooked the bh2000 yet, I'm hoping its quieter than the coralife!

pegasus

You're welcome. The new skimmer will take a few weeks to fully break in, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't perform miracles right away. The pump should be fairly quiet, though it may have to fully break in first. Just give it a little time to settle in. Nothing good happens in this hobby quickly. Mine took a full month to break in, so I set it up to run in a tub of water from water changes. In a phone conversation with CoralVue (maker of Reef Octopus), it was suggested that I pour some skimmate from my old skimmer into the tub with the new skimmer. This creates a biofilm on the surface of the skimmer so once the pump breaks in, it'll be ready to go to work. The biofilm makes the surface smoother so there's less bubble breakage as they rise up the neck. They must know what they're talking about, as it worked like a champ after installing it in my system. If you have any questions about your skimmer, don't hesitate to give them a call or send them an email. They're more than happy to work out any issues or answer any questions you may have.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3538016
Thanks guys, your debate is very informative! I hope to be this knowledgable someday.
Flower, sounds like when I upgrade to a larger tank with sump I want to have macro algae. Anything to have results with less cords and additives!! My fiancé already thinks I'm going to burn down the house!
As for my reef octopus bh 2000, it arrived! The thing is MUCH bigger than I thought!! I'm questioning myself about it being too much?

It's a great skimmer...I love mine. You will find out real fast by comparison, what a piece of crap the Coralife skimmer really is.

Just a few safety comments for you and anyone else reading...you should have GFCI outlets for your tank...they do make portable ones you can just plug in to a regular outlet, if you can't hard wire it. All power strips must be off the floor...drips and floods happen. It really is life saving for you and your tank to do these few simple things for safety...water and electricity do not mix well.

silverado61

I ran a Reef Octopus BH100SS HOB on my 36g. It's rated for a 70g with a light load. Mine pulled about 1/3 cup a week with a light load so when you use yours it may look like it's not pulling much but it will be.

As beaslbob would say, "That's my .02"

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3538013

Hi,If you run the skimmer on a new tank...it won't do squat. You toss in a chunk of raw shrimp (or sadly a live fish) to kick start the cycle, and you will have ammonia, then nitrites and last nitrates to complete the cycle. The skimmer won't slow it down, nor prevent it. In fact the skimmer won't do anything, not even make skimmate. Over time (the result of stuff breaking down) the skimmer will produce foam...but unless you remove the nitrates via a water change...they will remain, the skimmer can't remove your nitrates until it has been broken down to a lower point on the nitrogen cycle, by then more nitrates are added by the critters you keep in the tank, and the food you feed them...the skimmer will only help reduce the extra organic waste from becoming algae fodder. It will absolutely not reduce your nitrates. I have to ask...Did you even read the article I posted? Can you produce an article that says a skimmer can reduce your nitrates, and how it does it?

If you run the skimmer on a new tank...it won't do squat. You toss in a chunk of raw shrimp (or sadly a live fish) to kick start the cycle, and you will have ammonia, then nitrites and last nitrates to complete the cycle. The skimmer won't slow it down, nor prevent it. In fact the skimmer won't do anything, not even make skimmate. Over time (the result of stuff breaking down) the skimmer will produce foam...but unless you remove the nitrates via a water change...they will remain, the skimmer can't remove your nitrates until it has been broken down to a lower point on the nitrogen cycle, by then more nitrates are added by the critters you keep in the tank, and the food you feed them...the skimmer will only help reduce the extra organic waste from becoming algae fodder. It will absolutely not reduce your nitrates. I have to ask...Did you even read the article I posted? Can you produce an article that says a skimmer can reduce your nitrates, and how it does it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuEebGU9zA. Skip the intro and start at 3:23. Jim Stime of Aquarium Design explains how skimmers remove organics (DOC's) before they break down into Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. The guy giving the interview sucks, but Jim goes into pretty extensive detail of how the process works.

Not trying to open old wounds, but I mentioned that "short of a pump failure", a skimmer is a one time expense. If I were to a pump failure, my pump has a three year warranty so I have a long time before I have to worry about any added expense. If I should experience a pump failure after that, it will most likely be the impeller or shaft. $85 is what the average replacement impeller w/shaft costs, and the entire pump assembly is $149. This is a low price compared to the $519 price tag for the complete skimmer.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3538080
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuEebGU9zA. Skip the intro and start at 3:23. Jim Stime of Aquarium Design explains how skimmers remove organics (DOC's) before they break down into Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. The guy giving the interview sucks, but Jim goes into pretty extensive detail of how the process works.

Hi,

I watched the little video...the man is trying very hard to explain, and he isn't really very good at it...LOL... IMO. It's a TV show, and lots of information is just not bothered to explain because it would be too boring for TV.

Did you look at the article I posted? the most important thing I was trying to point out is that it's all a huge loop a constant cycle. The end process becomes the beginning process and continues. The fellow did explain it first about lipids and such...but then you can tell how he decided to dummy it down so to speak for the audience. That's when he backtracked, and decided to explain it a different way that he thought us dummies could understand....because he thought we would be more familiar if he tried to explain it as a nitrogen cycle version.

A protein skimmer removes the very base organics, the stuff algae feeds on, and everything else for that mater. Not feeding algae is WHY we run a skimmer, not to try and remove ammonia, nitrites, nitrates or phosphates. Algae does feed on that stuff, but only after it has been processed by the natural cycle. What our video was trying to explain, is that the broken down stuff is removed, thus preventing it from continuing the cycle...where it would become again after the algae feeds on it, and the fish eat it, and then poops it out and around and around it goes. Running a skimmer will not remove your PO4, NO4 nor your NO3...it can't. That is not what it's for. The fellow in the video even said you should run a de-nitration filter (The Aquaripure filter is such a thing) for that. Notice he did NOT say that it would replace a de-nitration filter. He does feel that it's an important piece of equipment...but it is not the ONLY way to disrupt the cycle...turf scrubbers, macroalgae, both are actually more efficient to remove them then a skimmer, because the algae feeds on it and when you remove the algae...the cycle is disrupted and not allowed to return to the system to continue the natural cycle

I hope that explains my position better. The original poster thought that his skimmer going on the fritz has allowed his nitrates to climb...his skimmer hasn't been out of whack long enough to have that happen (continuing the cycle circle) but his high nitrates are due to another reason that he needs to address.

lbannie

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!???? This thing is so loud! I'm letting it run (on the front of my tank) for a while to see if it quiets down. Hopefully. But the pump itself is loud and the air "silencer" is loud too!!
I wanna pull my hair out!
Not to mention the in and outlets seem huge in my tank.

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3538083

A protein skimmer removes the very base organics, the stuff algae feeds on, and everything else for that mater. Not feeding algae is WHY we run a skimmer, not to try and remove ammonia, nitrites, nitrates or phosphates. Algae does feed on that stuff, but only after it has been processed by the natural cycle. What our video was trying to explain, is that the broken down stuff is removed, thus preventing it from continuing the cycle...where it would become again after the algae feeds on it, and the fish eat it, and then poops it out and around and around it goes. Running a skimmer will not remove your PO4, NO4 nor your NO3...it can't. That is not what it's for. The fellow in the video even said you should run a de-nitration filter (The Aquaripure filter is such a thing) for that. Notice he did NOT say that it would replace a de-nitration filter. He does feel that it's an important piece of equipment...but it is not the ONLY way to disrupt the cycle...turf scrubbers, macroalgae, both are actually more efficient to remove them then a skimmer, because the algae feeds on it and when you remove the algae...the cycle is disrupted and not allowed to return to the system to continue the natural cycle

I am in complete agreement with you that skimmers will NOT remove ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. I also completely agree that outcompeting nuisance algae with desirable (macro) algae is very important. The only thing we appear to disagree on is that skimmers remove organics before they have a chance to turn into ammonia, nitrites, then nitrates. I, and many others, believe they do just that. Removing the organics reduces the amount of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates by removing some of the source
that creates them in the first place. It does not completely eliminate these compounds, as ammonia is present in fish urine and feces, thus the need for additional filtration... ie: macro algae. And yet again, I agree that harvesting macro that has consumed nitrates and phosphates removes these compounds from the system. If the only thing we disagree on is that organics break down into ammonia, nitrites, and subsequently nitrates... I suppose we're not too far apart on our views. At least we're able to agree with most
of each other's views... lol!

2quills

I am in complete agreement with you that skimmers will NOT remove ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. I also completely agree that outcompeting nuisance algae with desirable (macro) algae is very important. The only thing we appear to disagree on is that skimmers remove organics before they have a chance to turn into ammonia, nitrites, then nitrates. I, and many others, believe they do just that. Removing the organics reduces the amount of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates by removing some of the source that creates them in the first place. It does not completely eliminate these compounds, as ammonia is present in fish urine and feces, thus the need for additional filtration... ie: macro algae. And yet again, I agree that harvesting macro that has consumed nitrates and phosphates removes these compounds from the system. If the only thing we disagree on is that organics break down into ammonia, nitrites, and subsequently nitrates... I suppose we're not too far apart on our views. At least we're able to agree with most of each other's views... lol!
That's my understanding as well.
Simply put, if you're removing organics from the water column than a skimmer is clearly a method for removing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphates from the system. Because that's where it all comes from.
They won't do much for the organic compounds already there. Bio filtration mops up the remaining nutrients via algae or bacteria.
Obviously if there is a main filtration component suddenly removed from a system then the system will have to adjust. And you could see a spike in things like nitrates or phosphate until it does.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/397050/new-skimmer-corals-look-great#post_3538094
Obviously if there is a main filtration component suddenly removed from a system then the system will have to adjust. And you could see a spike in things like nitrates or phosphate until it does.

Hi,

Although that would make prefect sense sine even removing a rock or two, or adding a single fish puts the whole system out of whack.

I have turned off my skimmer for even a full week, I always turned it off when I fed my corals and quite a few times I forgot to plug it back in right away....it didn't make any difference at all when I tested.