new skimmer NO Instructions

gotfish

I have a quick question and need a little help
I just bought the last berlin Classic skimmer off the shelf at local fish store. Unfortunatly there are no directions in the box. Does anyone have Some suggestions about setting it up. Hints or tricks. or is it just simply plug it in and go.
any help would be great.

P

pirate_bob

yes its plug and go I have a berlin classic also... intake is on the bottom...... you adjust the air on the side were the output is in the middle... keep hose lines above water and equal w/ output or you will flood skimmer.!!

gotfish

thanks for the input...
What size pump do you use.
I just plugged it in and water came out of everywhere......specifically the to openings on the top of right above the out puts.
I bought a rio 1700 and i read online it needs a 2500. the foam is not making it to the collection cup

barracuda

I use EHEIM 1060. You need RIO 2500 to drive the original venturi (or another pump with similar flow rate/ head presure).
When you will start the skimmer first time, turn off the air intake regulator, and open little by little, looking down through the skimmer (w/o cup cover). Adjust the air intake, so that the foam begin to produce but is not rising to the collection cup. It usually takes up to several days until new skimmer will produce a very good, concentarted foam. Keep on checking that no cery clear foam goes up. You have to see dark green and stinky stuff in the collection cup. Make pauses between air intake regulator adjustments.

gotfish

thanks again.
I went back to tank and switched my pumps.
the 2500 from filter is now attached to the skimmer.
I turned it on and have clear foam going into the collection cup. I attached the hose and am draining it into a bucket.
If you dont mind let me explain what i did and if you can tell me if its ok i would appreciate it.
I dont have room in the sump for the skimmer so i placed it along side of the filter and have the pumps taking water from the sump into the skimmer and then as it leaves the skimmer it goes back into the sump. is this ok

barracuda

You will start with clear foam, so it's ok by now. It takes time to concentrate the foam. I have the skimmers manual near me. I will try to scan the most useful pages from it and i can send you by email. Just leave the email address for me. I'm just falling to sleep by now (it's 1 am here). I will try to send it to you tomorrow.
Oh, by the way. before i recieved this manual by mail from red sea, i found the same manual online using the search string in yahoo. just let me know if you still need it.

gotfish

MANY THANKS WILL LOOK FOR THE MANUEL NOW ONLINE.
IF I CAN NOT FIND IT I WILL LEAVE ANOTHER POST FOR YOU..
HOPEFULLY I WILL FIND AND NOT HAVE TO BOTHER YOU AGAIN
THANKS AGAIN
JOHN