New Skimmer Question

hawkfish203

I'm thinking of getting a new skimmer the coralife isn't cutting it any more. Was thinking of the ASM G2 or G3, bigger better? Tank is a 125. Is a ASM a good upgrade from a coralife? Thanks

al mc

I have ASMs for years and been happy with them. They are very much 'plug and play'. I suggest buying a skimmer that is rated for 2x your total water volume. ASM3 would be my choice.

acrylic51

Over sizing your skimmer isn't always the best solution. Just because it's over sized doesn't mean it will be more effective than a properly sized skimmer. A skimmer to large will hinder your progress as well........My advise is buy according to your tank size....maybe a step up.

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/383253/new-skimmer-question#post_3350693
Over sizing your skimmer isn't always the best solution. Just because it's over sized doesn't mean it will be more effective than a properly sized skimmer. A skimmer to large will hinder your progress as well........My advise is buy according to your tank size....maybe a step up.
Shawn has lots more experience than I but I still think a skimmer rated for more water than is in your system is not a bad thing. It allows for excellent oxygenation of your water and gives you a better chance of removing undesireable organics. I have not read anything that would indicate that 'overskimming' causes problems.
Shawn...if I am mistaken can you point me to a reference concerning 'overskimming'. Thanks

acrylic51

It's not really a matter of over skimming it's just that the skimmer isn't efficient....Your running a huge skimmer an not reaping any extra benefits by running a bigger skimmer. I don't have any specific threads or reading material, but that has long been a discussed topic over on the other big forum.

acrylic51

I'm not saying a bigger skimmer won't skim, but it won't be as efficient. I'll use my MRC 3 dual beckett skimmer as a good example....That skimmer is way overrated for this size tank and wouldn't be efficient, because it would pull, but the efficiency of the skimmer is poor.....And again you might not get the skimmer to perform consistently as well.
I don't have a specific thread, I can send you to, but that has been a long ongoing discussion from time to time over on the other big forum about over sized skimmers.....Plus the electrical consumption of a bigger pump or more pumps, and you see no added gain.