new skimmer

isistius

here's my dilema:
when i started my 135 in june of '06, i bought an aquamedic turboflotor 1000 multi for a skimmer. i really liked the way it worked. within the 1st month, it started leaking. i contacted the dealer i bought it from, and the replaced it no questions asked. in november of this past year, i downsized into a 54 corner. i decided to use the same skimmer on that tank. rated at 225 (or 250) gallons, i figured it would be great sine i have a very heavy bioload in this tank. tonight, this skimmer started to leak as well. i am not happy, and the manufacturer only warantes the skimmer for 1 year, so i am s.o.l.
i am asking for input from you guys/gals as for recommendations in new skimmers upto $300. i do have some constraints tho:
1. i must fit in the stand. max clearance height of 29".
2. does not have to be in sump, but that is ok. however, footprint must be small. maximum foot print of 7 3/4" x 11". but there must be room for my return pump.
thoughts / opinions????

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Isistius
here's my dilema:
when i started my 135 in june of '06, i bought an aquamedic turboflotor 1000 multi for a skimmer. i really liked the way it worked. within the 1st month, it started leaking. i contacted the dealer i bought it from, and the replaced it no questions asked. in november of this past year, i downsized into a 54 corner. i decided to use the same skimmer on that tank. rated at 225 (or 250) gallons, i figured it would be great sine i have a very heavy bioload in this tank. tonight, this skimmer started to leak as well. i am not happy, and the manufacturer only warantes the skimmer for 1 year, so i am s.o.l.
i am asking for input from you guys/gals as for recommendations in new skimmers upto $300. i do have some constraints tho:
1. i must fit in the stand. max clearance height of 29".
2. does not have to be in sump, but that is ok. however, footprint must be small. maximum foot print of 7 3/4" x 11". but there must be room for my return pump.
thoughts / opinions????
I'm a firm believer in Euro-reef, but that small footprint will be tough.

J

jrthomas40

asm...never had one but a guy at one of my LFS swears by them

isistius

grouper - i know. so far, i'm looking at etss sumpbuddy40 (maybe 60), aquac ev-120. can the euro-reef be run externally?

isistius

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
asm...never had one but a guy at one of my LFS swears by them
footprint is too big

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Isistius
grouper - i know. so far, i'm looking at etss sumpbuddy40 (maybe 60), aquac ev-120. can the euro-reef be run externally?
They have an external version, but it's well over the $300 mark. Unless you can find one on the

[hr]
place. I can't recall the exact model, but a little googling will show results.

ledzep fan

If you have the extra money, you can wait for the new Octopus Pro 250 which is going for $500 at Premium aquatics. (if I can't referance site, please delete it mods) I believe they are releasing them in a couple of weeks. At least this is my plan. JMO

joncat24

Originally Posted by moprint
MSX160 from marine solutions, the footprint is 7"x9", the height is 23", and its $299.
yep

moprint

They are really new the first ones got shipped around the first of this month. They are getting good reviews so far, a couple problems but it is the first production run. They come with a Sicce mesh wheel pump that Marine Solutions does the mesh mod to. I am going to order one, but I am in the middle of an upgrade so it will be awhile before I do.

joncat24

if you are comparing these to standard octo's like the nw 200, then yes it is better. The recirc octo's may give this one a run for it though.
The msx 160 is a well built skimmer and from all the new reviews and pics I have seen, it is awesome in performance. The first batch had a little trouble with the mesh mod, but they have that figured out now.

moprint

I think it is the same pump as the ATI skimmers, not 100% positive on that though. Which is a very good pump. The mesh mod problems are corrected now. I think this is the right skimmer for you, it fits your sump and your budget.