New SPS

infalable

I bought a new purple/blue tipped staghorn abount a 10 days ago. I believe all is well. It is mostly green with buish/purplish tips. This blueish coller seems to be getting larger. Does this mean anything? Also, I know they should have good water flow, but how much flow? My tank is a 46 gal bow. I have the Maxiflow 1200 PHs. The stag is about 2ft away but when I am ther flow at it it seems so strong. Any thoughts on this? Thanks all.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Infalable
I bought a new purple/blue tipped staghorn abount a 10 days ago. I believe all is well. It is mostly green with buish/purplish tips. This blueish coller seems to be getting larger. Does this mean anything? Also, I know they should have good water flow, but how much flow? My tank is a 46 gal bow. I have the Maxiflow 1200 PHs. The stag is about 2ft away but when I am ther flow at it it seems so strong. Any thoughts on this? Thanks all.
the tips are growing.u dont want that much direct flow because it willl cause the flesh to be ripped away.indirect high flow is best imo

aztec reef

well the minumun you shouid have is 15x turnover rate per hour. the more the better.in a sps tank i suggest going for 20x turnover rate...i agree with the fact that you're supposed to have indirect flow..never point powerheads at corals..you wanna have alot of flow, but not so much that it blows sandbed/everything around..