New Squamie for 24 Clam Garden!

nudilove

MY WHOLESALER IS KILLING ME! He has to bring in gorgeous things like this and then invite me over for lunch, so I can swoon with desire over...CLAMS! Couldnt leave without this beauty, and SO glad I finally have the new bigger tank going now!

nudilove

Tank is nearing a year, was started with a friends old tank goodies (rock,sand,water) and I have 150w MH 14k.

nudilove

Good luck! I love my halides, if you went with the 70w I would recommend derasas or squamies, unless you can get a crocea very close to the surface.

feathers212

I absolutely love the crocea. The bright blue coloring is amazing! Looks like I'll have to be getting MH's for future tanks!

nudilove

Thank you so much! But be warned, they ALWAYS look amazing from top down shots, from the side they arent such hot potatoes, be sure if you buy them online to get a through the glass shot as well as a top down!

kevin34

You seem to know your clams so Ill ask you this. I am looking to get a clam in the future but dont know what kind to get. I want something very hardy and easy to care for that also has intense color. What would you recomend for a 125 gallon reef?

nudilove

The thing that it completely depends on is the lighting you have in your tank, if you have a reef supporting SPS corals then many clams are available.
Maximas are the MOST sensative and fragile, but have intense colouring.
Croceas- Grow to about six inches, but always look best from the top, and are the most light demanding.
I would say are the next most sensative but by no means as bad as the Maximas. They are also very slow growing.
Derasas require less light but not the least, they can tolerate lower wattage halides and T5s. I have seen them at around 14inches in the home aquarium and would look great in a 125. They grow faster than croceas. Derasas are very nice pattern wise but generally are not the most colorful.
Squamosas require less light as well and grow upwards of 20 inches at times but are also slow growing because they devote much of their growth to scutes on the sides of their shell. MY new squamie is a nice specimen with lots of color, and they look equally awesome from the top or the sides.
Gigas can handle the least light and I think are AWESOME, they also grow about 8 times faster than any other species. They are true giant clams and can grow upwards of 3 feet. The biggest I have seen in a home aquarium is around 27 inches, in the wild a big 3.5 footer. They are hardy and I think have very nice patterns and blue spots from the side.