New Squamosa!!!

A

alexmir

I have been wanting a Squamosa for a while, and my LFS finally got 2 in. Their have really nice color, so i examined them, and chose this guy. HEs about 2 inches. Cant wait for him to get big, hopefully it takes a while before its 20+ inches.

myzislow

Nice squammy! Looks to have quite a bit of blue hue to him. Here is mine that's in my buddy's tank as it quickly outgrew mine.

A

alexmir

i will work on a top down shot tonight. He does have a nice turqois/blue hue to it, which will look REALLY pretty as it gets a little larger! Its about 2 inches now, and i am upgradingh my tank to a 125-150 in january, so i am going to place it in a spot where i wont have to move it as it gets larger. I hgave been looking for a squamosa for a while. I like the blue maximas also, they had some pretty blue ones that were 1" long, but at 89.99$, i decided to pass.

A

alexmir

I have a 60 gallon Bowfront. ITs about 19" deep. I have 2x175W metal halides on the tank. 15K iwasaki's their not as blue as other 15K brands, but put out alot more actual light. All my parameters are spot on. The clam is on the sand bed right now, i am monitoring it, and if i think it needs more light i am planning on moving it up 8-10 inches. I know they like to be in the sand, but while its small i dont think it will matter. I really like him

A

alexmir

thank you guys!!! Glad you like the clam. I will get a better pic, and a good shot from the top tomorrow morning.

dplantz

Nice! What LFS you get it from? Might have to check it out when I make my way down there some time!

A

alexmir

all about fish, right off 45 south at fuqua.
He gets some nice stuff in, he had one more squamosa. 4-5 maximas, 2-3 deresas, and a 3-4 crocea's. That was a week ago though.

paintballer768

Beauti baby squammy. I would target feed it, because its so small. That way its chances of living will be so much higher :)

debbie

When you say they grow fast, can you tell me if they are say 1 1/2" in size when you get it how long will it take before it is say 6" in size??

nycbob

squamosa, depending on its environment, can grow anywhere from 2-4 inches per year. there r many variables though, such as lighting and water parameters.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2824577
Beauti baby squammy. I would target feed it, because its so small. That way its chances of living will be so much higher :)
You should never target feed a clam. Feeding the tank phytoplankton is a good idea though.