new sump installed

blazehok68

well yesterday i took on the task of redo-ing my sump to a bigger one. some of you may recall that about a month ago, my sump overflowed twice in two days and i was ready to get out all together. but someone on here convinced me just to get a bigger sump, so i did. i started out by cleaning all of the crap out from under the tank that has accumulated over the past year. stuff i should have thrown out, but didnt, caust like my mom says im a pack rat. then i took the boottle jack out of my car and a 1.5" diameter wooden dowel that i had laying around (dont ask) and proceeded to support the stand. this was kind of overkill because when i first got the tank and stand, i reinforced the corners of the stand with a hell of a lot of 2x4's, but better safe that sorry. i used the bottle jack and a dowel because i live in an appartment and didnt have any lumber or a circular saw, so i jacked up the stand on one side, and cut the dowel to length on the other side with a hand saw. once we were all supported, i cut a hole in the "floor" of the stand with a jig saw and removed the center brace. i was nervous at this point, because i thought i was going to hear some creaks and cracks and then it would all come crashing down. but not a sound was made. thanks to baby jesus in his little golden fleece. so, i took my home made sump, a 29gallon rubbermade tote for the sump, and a crate that i got from a florist to go inside of it for the fuge i also took some pvc and put bracing on the tote just in case the water pressure made the plastic bulge, and i placed the whole thing underneath the tank. adjusted the plumbing a bit put the brace back in and good as new! overall this chore was 100 times easier than i thought it would be. overall it took me about 2.5-3 hours to complete the task. a little time consuming but well worth it. now i dont have to worry about the sump overflowing anymore. and yes i did test it.
here are some pics to show the progress

blazehok68

another thing i realized when i was doing this was that i had so many plugs vulnerable to the overflow that it was quite a fire hazard. so everything is on surge protectors now and they are all screwed into the stand up off of the floor.

thelogan

that one hose that sticks out with a close valve (as in its not over the sump) is a great idea for easy water changes if thats not already the reason. sweet sump by the way!

ifirefight

Originally Posted by BLAZEHOK68
yeah man...thats the reason i put it there.
makes life easy....
How exactally does that work??? If it is plumbed into the overflow...you would only get a small amount of water out before the level dropped and the water stopped. Or does it pump it out of the sump??

blazehok68

no it pumps right out of the main tank. my tank level needs to drop a little less than 20 gallons for the overflows to stop working. luckily my sump is 29 gallons. usually when i do a water change it is only 5 gallons. sometimes 10.
it works very efficiently and a 5 gallon bucket fits under there perfectly.