New Sump/Refugium...How does it work?

blackjacktang

Some of you may have seen my last post. I got a 45g Sump for $20. But my question is..how does it work?
I have had a sump before on a 60g tank but this one is a bit diffirent. This one is a sump and a refugium.
Here is a picture of it and a diagram i made.

And here is how I THINK it works. If im wrong you can copy the diagram pic and edit it!

S

saxman

I'd probably switch ends...I think the raised hole should be the feed for the rest of the sump (you don't really want a cascade into the pump bay that makes bubbles, and if you notice, the first baffle on the left (near the center of the sump) is useless because the water level is higher than the baffle. You want water to flow "downhill", so to speak...UNLESS that short baffle is there just to contain whatever you use in the fuge.
What did the person you bought it from say?

blackjacktang

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/389647/new-sump-refugium-how-does-it-work#post_3445220
I'd probably switch ends...I think the raised hole should be the feed for the rest of the sump (you don't really want a cascade into the pump bay that makes bubbles, and if you notice, the first baffle on the left (near the center of the sump) is useless because the water level is higher than the baffle. You want water to flow "downhill", so to speak...UNLESS that short baffle is there just to contain whatever you use in the fuge.
What did the person you bought it from say?
He almost said nothing on how it works
and another question..does the flow rate of the over flow box have to be the same as the return pump?

S

saxman

As long as the flow rate of your O/F isn't LESS than the return pump, you should be fine. You can "overpump" a O/F, but you can't "underpump" it because the flow is governed by the return pump's rate of return. If you "overpump" the O/F, your sump will run dry and you could end up with a flood and/or a burned-out pump.

blackjacktang

Okay well i got it all figured out! The tube sticking out the left side was used for an external pump!
But i have one last question! How do you know the flow rate of an over flow box! Like on other sites i see this (in the pic) is that the max flow rate or what? Thanks!