New Sump/Refugium

jman72

So I have a 75 gallon reef and no sump. So I have decided that I will put in a sump/refugium. However, since I have no experiance with these, can anyone tell me which is the best (I am thinking 10-15 gallons w/light). PM me if it is non-SWF.com

wattsupdoc

Are you thinking of making your own sump? Or buying a prebuilt one? I'd do something in the 20 gal. range minimum on the 75. A 29 would be sweet. whatever you do get one as big as you can that'll fit in the stand.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by jman72
http:///forum/post/2509833
What do I do to connect the sump/fuge back to the tank?
You could drill holes in the back or side of the 20 gal sump/fuge and use bulkheads and some PVC piping to use as your return and have an overflow box to drain the water. Or if you are a little shaky about drilling the sump/fuge then you could just have the pipe run over the top and into the tank, depending on how much space you have.

jman72

Okay, this is what is figured out. I will have an overflow bring water down to the tank through PVC, then have it go through the sump/fuge and protein skimmer (is ASM mini-G, AquaC Urchin Pro w/ Mag-Drive 3, Corallife super skimmer 125, or Turboflotor T1000 going to work best for me?). Then, I will have return pump bring the water back up to the tank through more PVC. Any suggestions on the best return pump?

earlybird

I'm a big advocate of magdrive return pumps. You'll have to research skimmers a little more. Make a sump yourself. It's not that difficult but you'll have to ask around or research. Things to search on: overflow box as there are a few different styles. I don't like the CPR style, baffles, how to determine backflow (room for water in event of power outage), and fuge. I would turn it into a 3 chamber sump with fuge.

juice_1080

Originally Posted by jman72
http:///forum/post/2510772
Okay, this is what is figured out. I will have an overflow bring water down to the tank through PVC, then have it go through the sump/fuge and protein skimmer (is ASM mini-G, AquaC Urchin Pro w/ Mag-Drive 3, Corallife super skimmer 125, or Turboflotor T1000 going to work best for me?). Then, I will have return pump bring the water back up to the tank through more PVC. Any suggestions on the best return pump?
I would agree with mag returns, they get good reviews. I would see what the overflow box rate is and base the pump off of that. I have a 75g w/built in overflow and it is rated for 600gph and the mag 7's run perfect with that. Just curious though.....are you planning to use all 3 of the skimmers mentioned or at those just ideas? I have an Octopus Needlewheel 150 and I have heard nothing but good for it yet. Although I can't give any feedback since it is sitting in my closet (Setting the tank up in a couple months)

jman72

I am just going to use one of those skimmers. I want some advise on which one to use. The octopus is a little expensive for me.

juice_1080

I was going to say I think I payed around $180 shipped and I have been told to go with this one. I haven't set it up yet but it looks like it can do some damage.