New sun coral...

subielover

This is my first sun coral. I am a little nervous about having to take care of it, but I am gonna give it a go. Any advice would be appreciated. Here are some pics I took tonight after feeding a bit.

N

nonphotosynt

Take a look at this hitchhiker, when it is closed. If it is soft and translucent, it's likely aiptasia, if it has hard skeleton, just as sun coral, only dark brown, almost black - then it's LPS.

oceanlover

The brown anemone is mojano which is a nuisance. Joe's Juice it and it will be gone.
Your sun coral is very pretty- don't put it too close to your lights. Have fun feeding it. They are an awesome coral.

alot of people claim that u need to feed every day and that is fine if they
want to. we feed ours three times a week and it is growing like a WEED. we
try to feed a good 75% of the heads each time with brine and mysis shrimp
with target feeding. the other times it catches shrimp and cyclopeze in the
water current. we only target feed every couple days. the black coral head
is not attached to the others so u will have to make sure it gets feed. when
the black gets more heads it will be an awesome looking coral with the 2 colors.

mr_x

LOL. that's definitely a black sun polyp. not a majano anemone. see it's skeleton at the base? that's a dead give away.

jeanheckle

Very nice looking piece. I love that it has a black head attached to it. They really aren't too hard to keep, especially if yours are already opening.

subielover

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2831455
LOL. that's definitely a black sun polyp. not
a majano anemone. see it's skeleton at the base? that's a dead give away.
Thanks X, I wanted to make sure.
Originally Posted by jeanheckle

http:///forum/post/2831527
Very nice looking piece. I love that it has a black head attached to it. They really aren't too hard to keep, especially if yours are already opening.
Thanks Dori, I really love it. Even when it is not open, during the day, it is still a beautiful and eye-catching piece.

jerryatrick

That would have been pretty rotten of me to give you a coral with something nasty like that on it.
Over the next week you should see the polyps get bigger and bigger. If you are afraid of adding to many nutrients to the tank try silversides. Cut the silverside up real small and hand feed each polyp. That worked well for me.

subielover

I know, not sure what I was thinking, sorry bout that.
I might try the silversides, I didn't think of that. Thanks.

salty gal

Just a note here....
Ours ate our Mandrian Goby. Guessing the Goby went and sat on it.
People have said over and over "That can't happen, it's not possible."
But .... did happen.

mr_x

your mandarin was not killed by sun polyps. i am willing to bet my life on it. they are just not aggressive enough to catch a heavy piece of food, let alone a fish. if you saw the mandarin dead on the sun polyps, he died near it, and they latched on to him and started to eat him. even so, i don't think so, because when mandarins die, they release alot of slime. i can't see how they would be palatable.