new swf tank questions?

little_d

I been reading and following some of the threads on this forum and plan to start up a new swf tank in the next few months.
Here is my firsh question.
I found a 45 gallon tank at my local fish shop for 399 including, stand, tank, wet/dry filter and pc light. I take a look at the light and it come with 2 55w bulb, one is white and the other is blue. I understand that this might not be efficient enough for reef tank so is it worth it to get just the tank and stand, new lighting, wet dry filter and everything else seperately?
Thanks

pit

is that a basic light or pc? what type of stand? if its oak then its a good deal but you might get a deal just as good or better looking into a used set up or piecing a used set up together from this site or some others. i recently bought lights from someone on this site and looking into wet/dry now. i read some threads about buyer beware, that should be common sense( i think anyways)- good luck, joe

little_d

Pit, thanks for the fast reply.
I believed this is it Link It's PC light, 2 55W bulb, 1x10000K and 1xActinic Blue and the stand is not wood just lamminate.

pit

i dont known much about jebo products, i know the company name is used widely in various threads. tank looks sharp, would look good, imo, with some live rock stacked high in back. is space a consideration for you? if not you may want start bigger! i started with a 29, went to a 38, will soon be going with a 90.

little_d

I don't know much about the name either. Anyhow, I got a spacing issue so 45 gallon is best I can do. My main concern is still with lighting, will the 2x55W good enough for reef?

malounsbury

There's a post on this forum that is a 101 on lights, written by 007. Here's what he says about florescent lights.
Fluorescent
Normal Output (NO): These lights are the lowest on the totem pole. They are the standard lights that come with aquariums when you buy them. They are really inappropriate for most set ups as they are not powerful enought to sustain corals for long term periods. However, one potential application which may find NO lights appropriate is in a refugium. They can be bright enough to grow algae which is the purpose of a refugium. The only advantage of NO lights are that they are cheap, readily available in a variety of sizes, lengths, and kelvin ratings.
High Output (HO): These are the next step up from NO lights. These lights again are available in a variety of lengths, sizes, and kelvin ratings. These are capable of sustaining some corals for a long time and can be used in some reef aquariums. A relatively new light on the market are the new T5's which are HO lights and have so far established themselves as an acceptable light source. These bulbs require a special ballast to drive them.
Very High Output (VHO): Same as above only even more powerful. These lights are again capable of sustaining a variety of corals longterm. The bulbs are readily available in a number of sizes, kelvin, lengths, etc.
Power compacts (in my opinion) are probably somwhere between HO and VHO. I personally am not a fan of PC's because of their reputation of breaking easily and up until recently they did not have a true actinic bulb available in PC. However they do now apparently.

little_d

malounsbury, thanks for the quote from the sticky. I read all four thread. Also, been reading some more and looks like the PC light coming from that tank can only house soft coral. manbe it's best for me to get a tank without any accessories and buy everything to fit my need.
Thanks

pit

check the cover on the tank your looking to purchase, see if you can get a retro fit lighting system inside the canopy. if so, you can get the tank up and running and when you get time and money upgrade the lighting.

little_d

My email is usa_import@yahoo.com
BTW, I drop the plan to get that tank because no upgrade lighting option can be make, plus there will be too much stuff hanging in the back.
I just bought an all-glass tank, 65 gallon with build in overflow, this way I can keep everything clean under then stand.
Thanks for all the help, will ask more questions soon :). Next step is to build the stand and canopy, then wet/dry filter, pump, power head, lighting, sand, rock and fish hope I got everything. RO and skimmer down the road.
Originally posted by pit
littled whats your email address?