New T5 system

kmell822

I just hooked up 4x39 watt T5's over my 46 bowfront. Seems like an incredible amount of light for this tank. From a reef standpoint what do you think I can keep healthy with this setup? Any input is appreciated.

scsinet

It's actually a "moderate" amount for a reef. If a reef is what you are doing, you'll be fine keeping just about anything except clams, amemones and SPS corals.
If you wanted to keep those, I'd recommend going to at least 250 watts of light (7 39w T5s in this case).

kmell822

Originally Posted by SCSInet
It's actually a "moderate" amount for a reef. If a reef is what you are doing, you'll be fine keeping just about anything except clams, amemones and SPS corals.
If you wanted to keep those, I'd recommend going to at least 250 watts of light (7 39w T5s in this case).
thanx

dueces

I have 4 x39 T5's in a 46 and I have a very healthy clam. I have no problems with any coral and my clam is nice color and growing. I haven't tried SPS but if you keep them on the top half of the tank it should be fineWhat kind of light did you get? IMO!!!

stanlalee

what kind of clam? that makes all the difference in the world. Crocea and maxima's are going to need alot more light than say a deresa or squamosa.

kmell822

Originally Posted by dueces
I have 4 x39 T5's in a 46 and I have a very healthy clam. I have no problems with any coral and my clam is nice color and growing. I haven't tried SPS but if you keep them on the top half of the tank it should be fineWhat kind of light did you get? IMO!!!

Nova extreme - only one reflector
Unrelated to thread but of interest, with this lighting and coral, do people keep a glass top or does that filter out some valuable light wavelengths?

rs1831

Doesn't it matter what kind of reflectors are used in the t-5 fixture.

scsinet

Originally Posted by rs1831
Doesn't it matter what kind of reflectors are used in the t-5 fixture.
Yes. Systems with an individual reflector on each lamp produce more usable light in the tank than systems that use one large reflector for all of the lamps.

rs1831

Yes. Systems with an individual reflector on each lamp produce more usable light in the tank than systems that use one large reflector for all of the lamps.
I purchased an Aqauctinics 5*39 fixture with individual reflectors and I would like to know how to figure out what I can safely keep in my tank as far as corals go.

dueces

what size tank?
i have a 46 and have been able to keep what ever I wanted clams, GPS, zoos, Galexea. I am going to try and get SPS soon and put it near the top.

Originally Posted by kmell822
I just hooked up 4x39 watt T5's over my 46 bowfront. Seems like an incredible amount of light for this tank. From a reef standpoint what do you think I can keep healthy with this setup? Any input is appreciated.

What combination of bulbs do you have in your 4x39 watt T-5 setup??

rs1831

Originally Posted by dueces
what size tank?
i have a 46 and have been able to keep what ever I wanted clams, GPS, zoos, Galexea. I am going to try and get SPS soon and put it near the top.
70 gallon.

matt819

You could definitely keep some SPS and clams if there were individual reflectors...that should have been the first question.

matt819

rs1831....the aquactinics fixtures are overdriven with icecap ballasts, and they have the parabolic individual reflectors. You should be good to keep anything. Go for it man! Nice purchase with the aquactinics btw...

wangotango

only aquactinic's solarflare fixtures are overdriven. the TX5s and the constellation (to my knowledge) run off of workhorse ballasts and are driven at spec. its an awsome brand, and like matt819 said, it was a great choice.
-Justin

rs1831

Originally Posted by WangoTango
only aquactinic's solarflare fixtures are overdriven. the TX5s and the constellation (to my knowledge) run off of workhorse ballasts and are driven at spec. its an awsome brand, and like matt819 said, it was a great choice.
-Justin
I have just the normal t-5 fixture with the individual reflectors. I'm really amazed with the lights but I just wanted to make sure that I could put most things in my tank.

reefraff

Sitting on a 22" tall tank I got nearly 200 umol's of par from a 5x49 Aquactinics T5 at the sand bed. That will keep a clam..... well, happy as a clam.