New Tank (Again)

kube

Hello Everyone,
OK straight to the point, i have read all the recommended threads and read through some posts and did some searches, so here are my questions:
I have a 55 gallon tank with a nice wet dry filter and protein skimmer, heater. I am purchasing 60 pounds of live sand. Do i need Live Rock right away for a fish only tank?
I have a heater also, i am very use to setting up fresh water tanks and cycling them, but this is my first saltwater. I still need to add some chlorine remover to the tank, do this before i add the live sand?
I am planning on buying water at walmart water dispencer i think its a culligan water filter, do you think this will surfice?
Hmmm.. thats all i will be back with more questions, i am in no rush to set up this tank been wanting to do it for years whats a few more years. thanks for your help

First its a lot easier to buy premixed saltwater from your local fish store if they have it. Second i dont know much about wet dry filters. I have fluval that does the bio for the tank. For saltwater let the tank cycle 4 to 6 weeks. If you are going put live rock it. Add the premix water then the live rock and then let it cycle4 to 6 weeks. 60 lbs of live rock would be fine.
Good luck

allterr

The water at Walmart should suffice, as it probably has an RO unit in it. (most that I have seen do). LR is not necessary for a FO tank, but a darn good idea as it helps with bio-filtration. (then it becomes a FOWLR tank!) I would add the live sand, then slowlay add water to try and keep it from clouding up as much as possible. Do not run your filter until sand settles, and then let it cycle. in the meantime while cycling, get your test kits. Hope this helps!!

I would just buy premix water beucase you dont have to mess with it at all. Like trying to mix it right and every is condition right in the water. But its ok to use walmart water. It just take a little more time to get the salt level just right.

lovecraft

I agree with the above. If you do go with the wal mart water, see if there is a way you can test for unwantables just in case.
Don't make my mistake and buy the "boxed" saltwater from your lfs...it is very good water...just expensive. I may use it again for emergency water changes or such. It's about $15 for 5g. I was buying my first tank and was talked into it. A very heavy price for me to pay for cycling my take, however... and one of the many reasons I no longer buy from *****.
I found out later much to my surprise that several of my "locally owned - not corp" LFS's sell their own water. $1 a gallon for premade salt or .50g for ro/di. I did test it the first time. I don't have much space for a setup and travel quite a bit and buying the water is much easier for my tank maintenance. Shop around first. It will all come down to what's convenient and cheapest for you - but always get the best water you can get within reason.

kube

Yeah i would buy the premix water but, the local fish store went out of business so the nearest store is an hour and a half drive, so depending on the internet for a lot and buy some fish later when its all setup up
And since i am going to use RO water do i still need to add chlorine remover???
thanks
I am Going to skip the Live rock for a few weeks till i can drive to the pet store in a near buy town for the first few weeks
I read that i could drop a raw shrimp in the tank to cycle the tank, is this just a raw uncooked shrimp from the grocery store? will this start the cycling process? They told me at the pet store that i didn't need to cycle the tank since i was using live rock, is this true??

scotty37

The tank will cycle one way or another to create the biofilter. If you skip the cycle and add fish, you can count on dead fish. If you add live rock, that will start your cycle, or you can use the dead shrimp, wait for all your levels to go through all the cycle, and then proceed.