new tank algae

tjone752000

A friend of mine just started a new tank. It`s a small tank. 30 gals. or so. I helped him get started with 30# live sand 30 -40# live rock, a small filter with carbon on top of filter,skimmer and 96 watt pc`s,No tap water ever used. PC`S have been on for 6-10 hours with no difference.Problem is tank is 4-5 months old and since cycle it is covered wall to wall with long green hair algae.Parimeters are fine, salinity fine, temp vary`s 78-82. Any sugestion`s would be helpfull. Thanks

r1v2c

Are you using ro/di water ? I was having an algea problem for a couple weeks. I ended up doing some ro/di water changes and it has really improved the algae in the tank (I was previously using tap water)... also try get some snails / hermits who will help controling the algea growth.

keith burn

Originally Posted by tjone752000
http:///forum/post/2828002
A friend of mine just started a new tank. It`s a small tank. 30 gals. or so. I helped him get started with 30# live sand 30 -40# live rock, a small filter with carbon on top of filter,skimmer and 96 watt pc`s,No tap water ever used. PC`S have been on for 6-10 hours with no difference.Problem is tank is 4-5 months old and since cycle it is covered wall to wall with long green hair algae.Parimeters are fine, salinity fine, temp vary`s 78-82. Any sugestion`s would be helpfull. Thanks
How do you feed? over feeding will feed the algae just feed what the fish will eat in 2 min at a time.You may stop all pumps as well at the time you feed or use a food ring to feed with, it sets on the top of the water and you put the food in it so the tanks flow will not move it.
Did you test your Phosphates? If it is off yoe are feeding the algae.
Do you run a skimmer? if not may get one...it will help...
You may add to the tank to help Hermit crabs,Turbo snails,(sea hares but try to see if your lfs will buy it back in a fue weeks the tank in not the size to keep this guy long)