new tank and coral IDs

notsofishy

hey it worked! Wasnt sure if id be able to get them on here but yeah i just got the two corals on bottom yesterday not sure what the reddish orange one is but its kind of closed up now. also the lower yellow seems to be dieyin off so if I could get an Id and any recomendations for it it would be much appreciated.

spanko

First pic looks like an open brain coral.
Second pic looks like a P.O'd leather of some sort.
Bottom of second pic looks like a cyano bacteria problem.
Please take this constructively. You should not be buying any coral that you don't know what it is or how to care for it. Better to do some up front research first.

notsofishy

Yea I know I got these corals from I guy that was tearing down his tank yesterday the red/orange brain thing is really squishy so I wasnt sure. Also the leather looking thing has a green floures on the parts that are still alive. It has a stony skeleton so i dont really know (the original owner didnt know either).

spanko

Red Slime (Cyano Bacteria)
Cyano grows on top of nutrient rich areas of low flow. There are a number of things that need to be correct or possibly corrected to combat this without the use of chemical additives. The biggest thing is to get rid of the extra nutrients.
1.Evaluate your feeding. If you are feeding more than can be eaten in about 1-2 minutes it is too much and the remainder of it is falling to the rock and sand and becoming nutrient.
2.Evaluate your flow. If you have areas in the tank where there is little to no flow this can be corrected by adding power heads or repositioning the ones you already have. You don’t need to create sand storms just have water moving over the area to keep detritus suspended in the water column for removal by your filter – skimmer.
3.Evaluate your water changes. The solution to pollution is dilution! You want to continually remove unneeded nutrients as well as replace those things that are used by the system. 10% weekly is a good change schedule. Some do 20% every other week and some vary the schedule from there, but a good start is 10% per week.
4.Evaluate your lighting schedule. About 10 hours of daylight is all that is needed.
5.If you have a cyano outbreak do the above 4 items andh:
a.At water change time siphon off the cyano first. It will come up easily almost like a blanker.
b.After siphoning stir the affected areas a little to suspend any detritus for the water change and filtering - skimming removal.
c.Use a turkey baster now and at every water change in the future to again suspend the detritus for removal by the water change and your filtering – skimming.
Keeping nutrient levels low to non-existent will help to avoid cyano outbreaks and any algae outbreaks as well as keep your tank and you happy happy.
Hope that helps.

notsofishy

Helps alot thanks! My nitrate levels are undetectable and my phosphates are almost undetectable as well. So I guess its possibly my flow (which is a little low right now). I plan on getting 1 or 2 Mj mods so hopefully those will take care of it. But until then will the cyano harm any of my inhabitants?

spanko

It certainly will if it gets out of hand. Siphon, and water change will help at this point until you get your powerheads.

keri

I like the wall-mounted tank -unique! - but how do you keep the water from falling out?

notsofishy

oh yea it was a little tricky getting all the aquascaping to hold together but a few rolls of duct tape and it works great!