New tank.. brown and green growing everywhere!

bizzmoneyb

I recently added a Coralife 48" light to my aquarium which includes 2 65 watt 10,000k bulbs and 2 65 watt blue actinic bulbs. The tank finished cycling a few weeks at which time I added hermit crabs and cleaner shrimp, they did fine so I added a few Damsels and so far so good.. but after about a week with the light my entire tank is turning a brown/dark green color thats getting worse by the day.. all over the glass rocks and sand. I read somewhere it could be Diatoms since its a relatively new tank. Anything I can do to control this?
Sorry for any ignorance, im new to this.
Bizz

hot883

Wait it out Bizz and make sure you have suffecient powerheads in it to move water around. What size of tank, what filtration, how many power heads, how much water movement etc?

rcdude1990

yep its new tank syndrome
i have this to if u want u can eaisly tanke the algea off the glass (but slowly)
if u want u can do wat i did and get some snails
i noticed a big difference but if it really bothers u like it does to me i jus take a sponge (not a brillo pad) and wipe it off
hope i helped

bizzmoneyb

Originally Posted by rcdude1990
yep its new tank syndrome
if u want u can do wat i did and get some snails
i noticed a big difference but if it really bothers u like it does to me
hope i helped
well it looks pretty crappy.. my entire tank is turning brown..
does this control itself in time? if so how long does it normally take?

Y

yeffre kix

Hermits and snails are great additions to controll your algae and are fun to watch. However, keeping the glass clean will have to be done by you. Get a Mag float glass cleaner and run it over the glass every day when you feed.
I noticed you didn't say how long the lights are on. 8 hours a day is plenty time as longer lighting times will affect your algae growth too. Also control your phosphates as they will cause excess algae growth.(use RO/DI water for top off and avoid over-feeding.)

albie611

sounds like high phosphate or nitrates to me .
use only RODI water when doing changes/ top off and you will fix in a short period of time. good luck.