New tank cycling problems...

ben78

Not so much a problem with the tank though - its my pregnant wife, she really really really can't handle the smell (I'm a week into the cycle) it's so bad I have had to drain the tank off to stop it.......
Soooo how can I do a cycle that doesn't involve the cycle, and so the stink being inside?
I am envisaging a great big plastic tub set up with live rock and water etc out in the shed that will be left to its own devices for a couple of months. Once it has finished, transfer the rock and water to the main tank inside where a mini-cycle will ensue without too much stink and a happy wife?
I am ready to go cichlids, but she wants chromis and clowns...
Cycle without stink? (well, inside at least!)

sweetdawn

i never noticed a bad smell with my tanks. i bought cured live rock though. your idea will probably work

dejaco

Yes garbage can - mixed saltwater - heater - powerhead. Let run 10 to 14 days, then drin off some water and do a water change. Wait another two weeks then lightly scrub and rinse each piece, refill with rock and fresh saltwater, let run 2 weeks and walla it should be ready for in side your tank.

1journeyman

Did you scrub the rock off good before you tried to cycle the tank?
Uncured rock stinks... no question. I found, however, that scrubbing the rock very well with a stiff toothbrush before I started my cycle cut the smell down to nothing (unless you leaned right over the water).
Not my idea... one of the posters on here had a "curing live rock" thread that was awesome.
Water changes during a cycle would also help...