New Tank First one

tanglove

I just setup my 55 gallon tank and have added the live sand and crushed coral. I have also added a scoop of sand from my sisters already well established tank. So now I am trying to patiently wait on the cycle. What I dont understand to much is exactly what I will start seeing. Can someone explain what will start to happen first, and please go easy on me. I am new at this.

tanglove

The LFS told me that I would notice a brown coloring to my sand and tank walls. Is this true? And will that be the only change I will see? Besides the levels completely going haywire?

farslayer

The brown stuff is likely diatoms. You can run something like phos gard in a canister to help remove silicates and reduce this gunk. But it will go away on its own. Make sure you only use RO water, no tap water.

rbrockm1

brown stuff will grow on stuff, water will more than likely get cloudy. good thing your takeing it slow. its best for the fish.
and don';t use well water either.

tanglove

I seen on another forum on this site about using damsels to help your cycle. Would I need anything else to really help me go through a cycle? Or should what I have be plenty enough?

symon

Originally Posted by TangLove
I just setup my 55 gallon tank and have added the live sand and crushed coral. I have also added a scoop of sand from my sisters already well established tank. So now I am trying to patiently wait on the cycle. What I dont understand to much is exactly what I will start seeing. Can someone explain what will start to happen first, and please go easy on me. I am new at this.
The only thing i see is that crushed coral, I would not have put it in! But if it is mixed in wht your LS you are kinda set!
To get yor cycle going throw a raw shrimp in there, as it rotts it will jump start your cycle
Good Luck and Happy Obsession!

tanglove

The crushed coral that I used was actually like a sand. I am really new at this and the bag said crushed coral. My LFS told me it would be a nice substrate for the bottom and to use the live sand on the top. Its so thin that ita about like the sand that is on top. Silly me it could probably even be called something else.

ghettotang

Yeah Don't use fish to cycle your tank. I would try to throw a raw shrimp like other people suggest. Just remember be verrrrrrrryyyyyyyy patience when your tank is in the process of cycling it could take more than 1 month of more to get complete cycle because if you don't have patience your tank with cause a lot of problem.
Good Luck

christiiiii

Originally Posted by Farslayer
The brown stuff is likely diatoms. You can run something like phos gard in a canister to help remove silicates and reduce this gunk. But it will go away on its own. Make sure you only use RO water, no tap water.

This is probubly really stupid but, what is RO water?

watson3

Originally Posted by TangLove
The crushed coral that I used was actually like a sand. I am really new at this and the bag said crushed coral. My LFS told me it would be a nice substrate for the bottom and to use the live sand on the top. Its so thin that ita about like the sand that is on top. Silly me it could probably even be called something else.

Eventually the sand will shift through the crushed coral and you will have sand on the bottom and crushed coral on top..That is the only reason you should not mix them..RO is reverse osmosis water..