New Tank, new hobby - advice please!

some1fishy

Hey all!
I have one loaded question. I have been researching this hobby/investment for almost one year. I have heard some and read some interesting stories. I am also appreciative of all the advice users have given others, now it is my turn to ask. I want to do a 55 Gallon FOWLER show tank and I have visited several LFS' in my area and they have all recommended different suggestions in starting this type of tank. I took all their information and researched it extensively. I have read that there are far too many mistakes to be made and I am trying to limit the ones I WILL make. I realize that this hobby is a constant learning experience but the more knowledge I can obtain the better. I am familar with the upkeep of a tank as I had inherited an already established tank in the past. Now I want to do my own and the one I was involved with is no longer is in my life.
My question(s) is this: I was told from one LFS that I should use a "Bio-wheel" filter with a protein skimmer and powerheads to circulate the water. Also with this system is a UV Sterilizer and the obvious heater. Besides the live rock, are there any other components to use?
Another suggestion was to use just a protein skimmer with the live rock and powerheads with air pump to create bubbles in the water, this also included the obvious items for a tank.
The last LFS that made sense to me said to use a canister filter in lieu of the biowheel as in the first set up. They had all the same appurtances as the first as well.
Which one is or is there a better set up to use for a FOWLER tank? Any product suggestions to use as this is going to be a recent purchase and now I have the bug to start out in this hobby on my own.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!
Sincerely,
Some1fishy :help:

jumpfrog

Have you considere having a drilled tank for your 55?
That would allow you to have a sump system and minimize objects in/hanging off of your 'show' tank. The price up front is a bit more but the pay off is great. Even an overflow for a non-drilled tank with a sump is a better idea than just a hang on or canister IMO. Your sump would hold your skimmer, uv, heater and such giving your tank a cleaner look.
Most recommend your primary source of filtration to be your live rock. The canister and hang on filters help with water movement and perhaps adding some media (carbon etc.).
A protien skimmer is helpful though not as important for a fish only system. Still a good investment for a small tank like a 55. The UV seems popular in the fish only systems to reduce parasites.
Good Luck! and keep asking questions. I know one answer usually leads to another question.

jjlittle

I would X teh filter for the live rock is teh best filter you can have and just have a good Protein skimmer to go with and make sure you have 20 times turn overs per hour meaning 1100 gal water movement either by return pumps powerheads etc. I to would suggest a drilled tank they are much nicer looking because you dont see the pumps skimmer etc.

turningtim

Live rock (1-1.5lbs per gallon), Live sand, adequate sump volume, water movement (10x -30x) and a KILLER skimmer.
Welcome to the boards!
HTH
Tim

some1fishy

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I have not looked into a drilled tank or a sump system as I was intimidated by the work involved. This is a first set up for me and I wanted to go easier than go down a road that I would be intimidated by. I do have a great canopy to 'hide some of the appurtances' as this was a concern of mine as well.
As I progress further, I am sure my 55 will eventually make its way to my bedroom and I will advance to a 75 or 125 Gallon which will definitely be a sump or drilled tank.
I appreciate the advice and it will help when this thing gets up and running. I now have an idea which way to go.
MP

turningtim

Honestly, there is no reason to be intimadated. A sump system will be easier to take care of in the long run and will add more water to the system which is a little more forgiving. If you don't go drilled then you would need a HOB overflow, sump and return pump. There are quite a few advantages to using a sump system rather than HOB filters/skimmers. You can buy a sump prefab that will fit under the stand. I would still suggest that you do a little more research and think about it.
When you get in to this hobby you will want the best for your livestock and maintenance is already a chore w/o haveing to add to that with hob stuff. Even in a 55 you will have quite an investment.
If the reef bug bits you than your system will be there ready and waiting.
If you have problems or questions, thats why we're all here.
HTH
Tim

fishmamma

I would go with the first LFS's advice to start if you chose to avoid a sump. I have been quite happy with running bio-wheel filters in addition to a good skimmer and powerheads. Very simple and the bio-wheel helps establish a good bacterial colony in a new tank and you can run a variety of medias in the filter box. I would not go without a mechanical filter on your first set-up, live rock will only act as a biological filter and though some chose to go without IMO mechanical filtration is very important.