new tank. new problems..

hawkfishman

ok i now have a 55 gallon aquarium with 40 pounds of fine arga-alive sand and 21 pounds of live rock in it. the inverts are doing ok as far as i can tell but i got 2 extreme misbar clownfish last night and i woke up this morning and they are always floating close to the surface of the water. i cleaned out my Rena Filstar Xp2 (tricky buisness when all the fine sand particles get sucked up in the filter) and replaced the micro filter pad as well. and i re-angled the spray bar so that it would break the water surface more.
my ammonia seems to be holding close to 0 ppm but the nitrates are between 5-10 ppm. the test kits are the API kits (not the dip sticks) and the tank has basically been up about 2 weeks.
is the reason the 2 clownfish are hanging out at the top because of the nitrate or possibly a lack of O2?

jubbin2001

Ammonia is holding close to 0 or is 0? There is a difference here.
2 Weeks seems a little premature to start throwing things in there, my 29g was a month strong before I dabbled with adding live stock. And my 125g I setup in November is finally now at the point where I would be comfortable adding less hardy fish (I have 5 chromis and 2 yellow damsels in there, and they have only been in there since Jan 15th)... So for starters I would say they are stressed.
I would say that your tank is still in "cycle" mode. From what I have seen ( I have 7 tanks ranging from 5g - 125g), tanks don't just cycle that fast (unless you try and use a bacterial additive...but that's not really cycling, it's mostly a temporary bio-boost to hasten the removal of ammonia, which is why you need to redose them per the instructions.).
Nitrate is not as toxic to fish in smaller amounts, so at this point I wouldn't say it is a factor.
Lack of O2 - meh I really doubt it. I have never had a lack of O2 in any of my tanks, and most of them are completely covered. Most of the time I see lack of O2 as a "way to many fish in one bowl" scenario.
How long did you take to acclimate them to your tank? How did you acclimate them? i hope you didn't just float the bag and then dump them in.
Right now I would say stress would be the most common issue. Some fish need more than 24hrs to snap out of a "New Home Slump". I would wait and see, becaus there really isn't much you can do. I would check your water parameters daily, and possibly do a 5%-10% water change if it's been a couple days and they are still acting weird. The good news is, most clownfish are suprisingly resiliant, and most likely will pull through when everything settles in.

hawkfishman

i have been adding the API stress zyme to speed the bio filtration as intructed by my LFS manager who i am very confident in his knowledge. and funnly enough, about 10 minutes after i posted this they started to swim around the entire tank rather than just on top. and they are eating.
the ammonia is just shy of 0 from the coloring that i get after testing as instructed by the kit.
i slow-drip acclimated them for about an hour and 10 minutes. again, thats what i was told to do by the LFS manager. he said at least an hour.
i appretiate the help jubbin. :)

fretfreak13

My clownfish sleep at the top of the tank. I'm not saying there's not something wrong with yours, it being so new and all, but were the lights off when you saw them there? lol

J

jstdv8

I personally strongly dislike stresszym and other chemicals that try to prevent a cycle. just wait the month or two it takes to cycle, then you know you are good to go.

jubbin2001

+1 to using cycle "preventers". There are a few instances where I have used it in "emergency" situations, where it was life or death. Other then that, all my tanks cycled on their own with no help. Glad they are doing well. Nothing worse than worrying about the new fish you just put in the tank when they act off kilter
. Hope everything works out
How do you like your XP2? I was possibly looking at getting a new canister filter, these were on my list of possibilities. Any dislikes?

hawkfishman

cleaning it is kind of a pain. and the build-up of small particles at the bottom of the actual canister is a bit more than i would like but other than that its done great.

hawkfishman

i know but the selection around here is TERRIBLE. nothing worth buying. i did buy 2 pounds of base rock last night though. they are "supposed" to become live again over time as the algae from the other rocks spreads.

hawkfishman

oh i have a side question as well. how many fish can i safely put in this 55 gallon tank? i already have 7 total fish. none exceeding 3" i belive.

novahobbies

You have seven fish.
In a 2 week-old 55g tank.

Oh my friend, you should really start here and then take a look here.
In the meantime, I would suggest you post a list of what fish you got. I'm afraid (and I'm very sorry to say) that your LFS manager has been leading you down the primrose path. He's a very nice guy, I'm sure. He's also in this to make his

[hr]
every month. I'd like to check your stock list to make sure he didn't see you anything ridiculous for a 55g, but just so you know -- 7 fish is pretty much the max for a 55g saltwater fish, of any size.

chaseter

7 fish in a 2 week old tank with only 20 something pounds of live rock is not a good idea with what nova said.
That is entirely too fast and too much. I hate to say it but I highly doubt all your fish make it another month. That is probably why your clowns are sick. You are essentially putting your tank into system shock. After a cycle is complete, you slowly add fish so that the tank can adjust to the bioload. More bacteria will pop up to accommodate to your new inhabitants. Think of your tank like the factory line on the old I Love Lucy episode when Lucy and Ethel are rolling chocolates. They are doing fine but when they start getting more chocolates than they can roll, all hell breaks loose!

jubbin2001

I have to agree with nova on this one....though I didn't want to be the first to say it. I was thinking exactly what nova said. It doesn't seem responsible to me if a LFS owner/manager would try and stock your 2 week old tank (let alone a 1 month old tank) with 7 fish right away (which is probably why you have a 16oz bottle of Stresszyme you paid $30.00 for at home...just a guess).
I am not trying to belittle his/her person, but any of us who have done this for awhile know that this is just too much of a biological load on a tank that size in that time. I think at most I have added is 3 fish to my 125g at one time. This is why one of the cardinal rules of marine aquariums is "Be Patient".
Is your system going to make it? Maybe, maybe not. There are circumstances that we can't explain, and this may be one of them. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't think this is a "normal" thing though...if it ends up working. More often than not, the results are not repeatable....which is why many of us avoid "bacterial cycle in a bottle" products. They are just way to inconsistant, and mostly are only effective of prolonging the inevitable, that the tank will cycle.
I am hoping for the best for you though. I would certainly exercise some caution next time in dealing with this particular shop.
It's always better to wait another day and ask around then to have your whole tank come crashing down.....hey that kinda rhymed....I think I will use that
I too would like to see the stocking list. I just have this gut feeling they sold you the most hardy of the fish such as: Damsels, Chromis, and others that have been proven to withstand an aquarium cycle.
We are here to try and help...I promise
!!

hawkfishman

the thing is, my LFS only knows of 5 of the 7 fish i have atm. and yes, i know that adding that much at once is pretty much stupid, but none of the fish i have bought have been over 20$.
here is my stocklist:
2x extreme misbar clownfish
1x orange skunk clownfish (which is most likely returning to the store today since i found out they are basically an orange damsel in aggresiveness)
1x lawnmower blenny (i am supplementing his diet with algae wafers. my old one seemed to enjoy this before.)
3x firefish goby. ( the LFS manager said to keep thim in groups like that since they find security in numbers)
so, depending on IF i can get a refund on the skunk clown, which wasnt purchased at my main LFS, mind you, i will have 6 fish. and yea, i know that the LFS manager is after the $$$, but my friend has been dealing with him for almost 2 years and hasnt had many problems with his fresh or saltwater aquariums minus some hair algae in the SW. and belive me, if i had tested the ammonia and it would have been at .25 ppm i would not have added ANY fish cause i am all too familiar of how fish handle ammonia. and yes, i know that ammonia is not the only thing to watch for. thats why i test my tank pretty much daily and the only things that are out of wack are the nitrates (as i stated before. the level is holding in that area) and the Ph (which i treated last night but havent checked since.) oh and i just looked at a calendar and the tank is now actually 3 weeks old not 2. and no, im not just saying that to get u guys off my back lol.
edit in: oh and the filter i am using on this tank was used on my 20 gallon SW i had up since around xmas. i added some seeded bio-balls to it to allow for a decent amount of bateria to build up in it. wish i could afford a straight bioball filtration system. i hear they are pretty good.

novahobbies

Originally Posted by hawkfishman
http:///forum/post/3234711
I know that adding that much at once is pretty much stupid, but none of the fish i have bought have been over 20$.
It's not the cost of the fish I was concerned about. It was the possible loss of life that worried me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an "all life is precious, save the lowly cockroach" sort of tub thumper, but I think you'll find that many of us here are pretty dedicated to long term fishkeeping. We try not to overcrowd our tanks, we don't buy naso tangs and stick 'em in a 45g tank, that sort of thing. I'm sure you feel the same way, and I hope you take the advise we're giving you with the impression that we're just trying to help YOU have a more enjoyable tank.
OK, so maybe I thumped my tub just a teeny bit there. Moving on.

http:///forum/post/3234711
here is my stocklist:
2x extreme misbar clownfish
1x orange skunk clownfish
1x lawnmower blenny
3x firefish goby.
OK, this isn't so bad. I had visions of triggers, tangs, and other giants rubbing fins with your two misbars. I would still say it's too much, and DEFINITELY too soon. Your thought about the skunk clown is spot on. They're fairly aggressive, and more importantly, the mix of two different clownfish species almost always ends with one of the two species being dead. Take it back to the LFS, even for credit.
Keep an eye on your lawnmower. Looks like you already have a handle on him with the algae wafers, but make sure he doesn't start getting a concave belly. Lawnmowers tend to do much better in tanks that have been up and running for a while...more variety in the salad bar, I expect.
As for your firefish: Hmmmmm, well, your LFS guy isn't telling you the WHOLE story here. Yes, they do well in small groups. SWF.com mentions that they prefer pairs. I have kept a single firefish successfully for years and I've never had a problem with him. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to keep three firefish if you don't want to. More importantly, I would consider trading a firefish or two back in to the LFS if you want to get another fish down the road. Your current count of 6 fish (minus the clown) is still pushing it. If you want to get a couple moderately active middle swimmers like flasher/fairy wrasses and/or a dwarf angel I would definitely consider removing at least one of the firefish.

w Post">
belive me, if i had tested the ammonia and it would have been at .25 ppm i would not have added ANY fish cause i am all too familiar of how fish handle ammonia. and yes, i know that ammonia is not the only thing to watch for......oh and i just looked at a calendar and the tank is now actually 3 weeks old not 2. and no, im not just saying that to get u guys off my back lol.
edit in: oh and the filter i am using on this tank was used on my 20 gallon SW i had up since around xmas. i added some seeded bio-balls to it to allow for a decent amount of bateria to build up in it.
OK, so the system is a little farther along than 2 weeks. That's great; it increases your chances of keeping the fish you have now. The filter that's pre-seeded from the 20g is also a good thought. That being said, I still believe you've shocked the system with the quantity of fish you added in a relatively short period of time. If you have any way of loaning some of your stock to a friend who has a mature system, that might be a good idea for now. Otherwise I would suggest you do 20% water changes twice a week for the next couple weeks. That should help offset any of the nitrite issues you may be developing...I noticed you didn't mention nitrites, and these are just as much a danger to your fish as ammonia.
So, to sum up: sell the clown, consider dropping at least one firefish, and see about getting someone to "babysit" the other fish while you wait out the rest of the cycle. Or else do more water changes. Also of course, add some more rock when you can. I'm actually a big fan of base rock being added...it will gather its own colony of beneficial bacteria in time, and will work just as well. My seahorse tank is built with all dry tufa and miami oolite rock, with just one small piece of LR to seed the rest.
And finally, just to reiterate the point: we're not jumping down your throat, we're just trying to help you learn. Many of us (myself included) pulled stupid stunts when we got into this hobby. It's definitely a learning hobby, and the best of us know that there's never a point where you STOP learning. Heck, I learned something new just last week: I learned that you shouldn't forget about the gaping open wound on your thumb before plunging it in a saltwater tank!
OUCH!!

hawkfishman

i havent mentioned nitrItes because i have tested them as much as i test the Ph/ammonia/nitrAtes which is at least once a day. and the nitrItes have never been above 0. oh god, why did i say that cause now i know what will happen tomorrow moring when i do the checks....frig!
anywho, all my levels as of 5 Pm today are right around where they should be.
ammonia: a little more than 0 but less than .25 PPM
nitrIte:0 PPM
nitrAte: between 5-10 PPM which it has been at since late last week.
Ph: 8.2 at least. the color is a little off of what it should be at 8.0 so maybe its 8.1
i also added quite a few small lace base rock (i think thats what it was labled as) which equaled up to maybe 4 pounds. i added a Ph buffer (not the API brand. i think it says "marine" on the label.) last night and today. last night it raised it to 8.0. i think the fish got a bit stressed from all the excitment of moving the rocks around and adding the Ph buffer. i do know i need to get more of a cleanup crew sometime soon. i've got quite a bit of debris on the sand in spots. mainly where i dropped the algae wafers in and the LWB didnt eat it all. i picked most of it out with a grabber. what/when would u guys recomend for my tank as far as inverts/cleaners go?
thanks a hundred times over for the advice/info. i do read it and take it all in. its just terrible for me cause im not a very patient person. i know, wrong hobby, right? but i need to learn patience some time.

hawkfishman

update: i lost 1 firefish this morning. i think due to him not eating as much or at all. everyone else seems fine though. all swimmin good and breathing good.