new tank, new saltwater aquarist

rhinostoo

I have recently came into possesion of a 20 gallon long tank. I am interested in getting in to the saltwater stuff. I have seen some tanks on the net that have done it with a twenty gallon. I done a lot of reading and now am confused by all the options. If you guys could give me a couple of option that a beginner could try or point me in the right direction to get me started. Thanks in advance!

twoods71

For a new guy or gal to the hobby I would recommend going with a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) tank.
I did a FOWLR in a 29 gallon for four years with nothing more the normal output lights and a hang on back power filter.

playtime

Welcome to the hobby. To get this out of the way, you need to know that 20 gal tanks are a little harder to keep good readings. I had a tank that size for almost a year with very few problems but I had good filtration. I agree that I wouldn't get into corals until you were more familar with saltwater as they are far more delicate. With smaller tanks, you really need to keep up on the water changes and do regular tests for amonia, nitrite, nitrate to keep your fish healthy. For filtration, I used an empiror 280, about 40 lbs of liverock and very few fish, and of coarse a clean up crew. in case you don't know what a clean up crew is, it is crabs, snails, etc that scavenge to keep the tank clean. This is really important. Make sure you do not overfeed. Not only for the fish, but for water quality. Decaying food causes fluctiations in your water. There is a big debate on live sand or crush coral. You can do a search and make that decision for yourself. I personally like crushed coral (med). Fish for a 20 gal need to be smaller like, clownfish, 6line wrass, bangi cardinals, blenny's, goby's, and more. some people like damsels, some don't. I don't because they tend to be teritorial and tempermental. In a nutshell, agressive.
Hope i have helped.
Playtime

dugan

Agree with the advice you've gotten... but I wouldn't try SW in a 20 as a newbie... I'd suggest a 55 gallon at a minimum... leaves you much more room for error... and there will be error! ;)
Good luck...
Katie

guppie

I agree with everyones post, don't start with that small of a tank, the water quality changes to quick and not as stable for a new person. The best thing I can tell you is do alot of reading and take your time if you rush into it you will start to have problems. If there is every a question you can always find the answer here, great place to learn. Welcome to the world of s/w you will love it, Good Luck