New tank now cycling - question

bjlled

I put my raw shrimp in about 24 hrs ago. Now the tank has a distinct "fishy" smell. Is this normal?
How often do I need to test ammonia, nitrate, & nitrite while its cycling? Daily?
Thanks for the help.

inawe

At least you have SOMETHING different! I put a raw shrimp in 3 days ago and nothing! No smell, no cloudiness, no change in water...nothing. I'd like to know if THAT is normal :thinking:!

gmidd

I'm pretty much where Bjlled is but instead of shrimp I added the LR and LS. I'm up and running for 2 hours, my SG is 1.023 and the temp is 76ish. While its still a bit cloudy, my question to piggie back on his is should you run your Filter (I have a Canister) right from the get go? I remember reading to hold off on the skimmer to help the Ammonia spikeat least for a day or so. Any help would be appreciated.

rbrockm1

give it a week or so before you test because it doesn't matter right now b/c your cycling. but when you start SLOWLY adding things into your tank test every couple of days to make sure everything cool and after your tank been setup a month or so with things in it, i would test every other week, unless something noticable.

extremepcs

Originally Posted by bjlled
I put my raw shrimp in about 24 hrs ago. Now the tank has a distinct "fishy" smell. Is this normal?
I too am cyclcing my tank. I put a large raw shrimp in it about 4 days ago. My ammonia level was 0 when I added it, and within a day or two my wife began complaining about the smell :cool: I let it sit for another 2 days and tested the ammonia again. It was up to 1, so I removed the shrimp. I'm a n00b though... Just letting you know my experience.

sepulatian

Do not add ANYTHING alive yet, unless you want to cure some LR, you will need it eventually anyway, now would be the time to add it.

1journeyman

Start testing in 3-4 days. At first you only need to test for ammonia. Test for nitrite around 12-14 days. Nitrate after that.
I personally would run filters, skimmers, lights, etc. Get the tank "settled" in. This also allows you to see what kind of water flow you have. Running a cannister will not prolong cycle.
If you remove the cocktail shrimp be sure to feed the tank every couple of days a small portion of food. You want something in the tank rotting to feed the ammonia fixing bacteria.
As Sep. said, adding live rock now is ideal.
Watch your ammonia and do water changes if ammonia gets close to 1ppm.

murph

If your testing positive for ammonia take the shrimp out.
Evidently the popularity of using a dead carcass (shrimp) came about during one of my absences from the hobby but IMO this method is extreme overkill.
It should be kept in mind that the end product of the nitrogen cycle is nitrate which can only be removed with large water changes when it comes to a new tank. Producing abnormally high ammonia levels with a dead shrimp will result in abnormally high nitrate levels at the end of the cycle. It will also result in far more die off of your new high dollar LR.
Cycling a tank should be pretty straight forward but for some reason has become a source of confusion. Get some fritzyme or comparable product that contains nitrifying bacteria. Ghost feed the tank with some flake food until you test positive for ammonia. Dose Amquel plus per bottle instructions to convert free ammonia, which will kill just about anything alive in your tank including beneficial hitchhikers on your LR to ionic ammonia which will not.
The bacteria that cycle your tank do not care what form the ammonia is and your tank will cycle as normal.
After you test zero for ammonia and nitrite the tank is ready for a few small, INEXPENSIVE!! fish. A small pair of false perculas works great. I would recommend you find an LFS that QTs there new arrivals for at least three days and houses there fish in copper treated holding tanks. This will provide a 90 percent chance that your first fish additions are not also your first parasite additions to your new tank.
Good luck with your new tank.