New tank on wheels . . .

armageddon

I have one of those little dual burner stoves. I just run an extension cord right over to the coffee table. Its perfect for cooking or having a few blades while you watch tv.

sw65galma

Originally posted by eiffergan
So on my new 75 gallon tank, I went to home depot and bought a few three-prong moving casters. Installed them on the bottom of the stand evenly to distribute weight. Now I have the option to move my tank over (slowly!) when I need to get behind it! How come no one's ever thought of that?

I think the problem is your weight distribution to the floor.
With the stand you have the surface area of the entire bottom holding the tank.
____
| ......|
|____|
^^^^
Weight distributed along entire bottom
Now take add the wwheels
// downforce on the stand
____ ^ Pressure up
|..... | |
|____| | <--Pressure points above each wheel
@ @ | In between the wheels are stressed
^ Stress in the middle of the wheels on the stand
Now your surface area has been reduced to the actual contact of the wheel.
Picture if you were standing below on a glass floor looking up.
And picture how little the surface area of the wheel that is in contact with the floor.
You'd be changing the the weight to 600lbs into maybe 6 SQ/In
instead of SQFT. Hence the ruts in most floors or possible cracks in your tile.
(added .... in to keep my format)

smarls

Eiffergan,
I've had my 55 on caster for about two years, on both hardwood floors and tile floors, and I have never had a single problem. Not sure why you re getting lit up here...
I did it because the stand was not quite high enough for my liking, and the casters raised it up very simply. If I were to move it, i would definately drain alot of the water, but I don't think it would be any trouble to move after that.
As for the whole weight distribution thing, I don;t agree with what is said here. The weight is sent down from the tank to the bottom of the stand by the corner and center braces. I placed a caster under each brace, so basically the weight is distributed directly to the caster through the brace. It may actually be more efficent (assuming that both the brace and the caster can handle the weight - which they can). Theoretically, the additiona fo the casters should not affect how the weight of the tank is ditributed down through the stand, rather oit only affects how the stand distributes the weight to the floor. Again, as long as everything can handle it, I think you will fine, and a 2X redundancy is pretty good.
Stewart

flatzboy

I don't know what the big deal is because I move my 46g. and 75g. reefs all the time they are both on tile floors, I don't drain any of the water out either. I don't actually pick them up I just slide them. I never loose any water either. I wouldn't put my tank on casters though, I just would not trust them and they look ugly IMO.

dskidmore

If your stand is sturdy enough, and the floor isn't saggy like in my house, you should be able to get away with it. If one caster takes a big dip, or your stand isn't stiff enough to transfer the weight of little height diffrences in the floor, that's when you'd run into the tank integrity issues.